The Lure Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know alot of people may not target Squid on lures only, but its def a method to try. Its a brilliant experience on the right gear and with the abundance of the species in certain areas makes the capture of these beautiful creatures a pleasure to do.

Here in weymouth we get our fair share of them and there are always a large number caught as the water temp drops. If you are down this way (weymouth) in the late autum get in touch and maybe you can experience it, if you haven't already.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Cheers Mike...might just take you up on that!!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Mike, will they be around when we come down for the Festival in September? Would be happy to give it a go and if successful fry them up on the camping stove!

·
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mike, will they be around when we come down for the Festival in September? Would be happy to give it a go and if successful fry them up on the camping stove!
Perhaps Tim, maybe a bit early but you never know!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wow, I never realised that they came in in the autumn ! . . We catch them here in Torbay from April to June but supposedly that's it . . .

I wonder if they arrive here in Torbay in the autumn ?

I wonder if it's the same species that's here in the late spring ?

I'd love to catch them somewhere else . . Looks like I could be heading your way in the autumn Mike !! Really appreciate the info...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Jerry.....I have just got some squid jigs from Hong Kong ready for the new season. A friend has had them at Hopes Nose in the past so I think I'll give it a go there in the next few weeks....probably too early but you never know.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Paul, I just ordered some of the new yama****a 'warm jackets' and a couple of 'naturals' from Japan (PLAT). . Should be here within two weeks, fingers crossed!

Haven't tried Hope's Nose but have heard that they're there. . . Not sure if it's too early, no-one really knows . . . I've tried quite consistently from a few places around Torbay from about late Feb' onwards, but, didn't have any great success until late March/early April . . . Though, I wouldn't say they weren't there, just that my technique wasn't right (?) . . . . When did your friend catch them at Hope's ? . . .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Jerry....sometime during summer/late summer I believe. Someone told me the other day that he was fishing live mackerel there for bass which were attacked and bitten by squid. So it seems it might be worth the hike back up the hill! The only technique I've seen is on You Tube....should be interesting.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Jerry and Paul
Hi Just joined forum and need to try Squid Jigging, many years ago worked on a trawler from Brixham and caught Squid in the early spring. Looking to try my hand at it off Hope cove and Prawle Point, have you any suggestions?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello Dave....I'm new to the squid jigging myself but I'm geared up for it this year. I've been down to Hope's Nose and Princess Pier a number of times already this year but no luck. I'm looking to go down again at the weekend and fish towards top of the tide... I think anywhere with a decent depth and some current and baitfish may be worth a try but it's a bit experimental for me at least. Keep us posted and let me know if you want to join forces some time.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Just a heads up for anyone in the south east that is interested in squid fishing, a couple where taken from worthing Pier last night on jigs. And they are exspected to show almost any day at brighton marina as well.
Also the All England Squid fishing Championships are being held in Brighton on the weekend of the 8th of May (I believe) Might be worth a look if anyone is interested. Tempted to give a go if the conditions look good. Pretty friendly atmoshpere, nothing too serious.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well, I had my first of the year last night in Torbay. A smallish one within 10m minutes of arriving (8pm) and another large-ish one, 1 hour later . . . Has been a while and was fantastic to see them in again. They're not abundant and it was a trial and error to find the right jig (small size 1.8 and 2.5 pink back Yama****a). I also saw some whopper cuttle but couldn't tempt them with anything, even my new Shrimphunters !!

Something interesting, (well for me anyway !) a friend of mine who regularly goes wrecking mid channel asked the skipper what a particular unencountered reading on the fishfinder signified (last week). The answer was squid, shoals of squid, big shoals of squid. Those readings were taken from various marks 8-10 miles from shore . . . So, they're coming, hopefully !

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Paul and all, got some input from **** at MR Fish on the phone this morning and he said they catch them all over the place on Jersey at several marks. Ordered some gear from him and hoping to try it soon. Will let you know

·
Registered
15 Posts
Jerry....well done. That is very encouraging to hear. I assume that was on a rising tide....bottom of tide was about 5.30 pm? Does it matter? Dave....look forward to hearing how you go.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hiya paul, yes it was on the rising tide, though i have caught them on the ebb very late into the night though. The water wasn't as clear as i like it so it was quite hard work but i got to try out some new jigs and it's still early on in the season so i was super chuffed really ! Dave, i really must make the effort to get to the competition this year. I was chatting to a few buddies about it the other day and they're keen too. Fingers crossed for some balmy weather!

·
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I had my first of the year last night in Torbay. A smallish one within 10m minutes of arriving (8pm) and another large-ish one, 1 hour later . . . Has been a while and was fantastic to see them in again. They're not abundant and it was a trial and error to find the right jig (small size 1.8 and 2.5 pink back Yama****a). I also saw some whopper cuttle but couldn't tempt them with anything, even my new Shrimphunters !!

Something interesting, (well for me anyway !) a friend of mine who regularly goes wrecking mid channel asked the skipper what a particular unencountered reading on the fishfinder signified (last week). The answer was squid, shoals of squid, big shoals of squid. Those readings were taken from various marks 8-10 miles from shore . . . So, they're coming, hopefully !
Fair play for getting your first one of the year :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts