The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After the spectacular results for Si last week, expectations were high for our latest visit to Bosherston in West Wales today with a good forecast, plenty of new lures and light gear all round. Just the five of us today - Si & Luke, Iestyn (our erstwhile guru and guide), George and me. Everyone went light, four bushwackers and a Tenryu injection and we were after the rush of a big girl on light tackle.
Depsite arriving 5 minutes ahead of our agreed rendezvous, the boys from the Valleys were already gone and away, so George and I had a good 1/2 mile yomp to catch them up. Although they had a few casts before we arrived and tackled up, no fish were on the bank. The hotspot from last week, wasn't firing this morning, so Iestyn resorted to weedless SPs along the reed margins. Before long he had a take and hook-up which converted to a snag. After some coaxing, possibly the smallest possible pike was landed - no need to stress about how to get this one up the wall! At this point we split up, Si, Luke & Iestyn heading for the pegs that had produced for George & I last week whilst we headed up the main lake.
The trip up was tough, but on his perch pattern shad, George managed a jack of around 6 pounds, so that was us off the mark. Nothing more showed until we were almost all the way back. I had missed one fish that grabbed at the lure as it reached the bank (maybe 8lbs), and then after two follows and a couple of knocks I landed a similar size to George on the now trusty Red Head Crystal Minnow. We met the lads back at the bridge to hear that a few fish had been moved, a few missed and a good fish of around 10lbs had been landed (and filmed by Luke) by Iestyn. We swapped slots for the afternoon and fishing was hard again. After a quiet few hours George landed a good fish around 8lbs. No photos as again, Dad blew the chinning part, and "released" the fish at the bank. I missed two good takes from the same spot at last knockings - the fish ambushing the lure but the hooks not sticking.
All in all a lovely day but the fish were reluctant today. Was it the wind? who knows. Si will be on for details of the fish they moved and hooked.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Nice report Tim :-D !!

Well, as Tim said, it was a bit of a struggle today. No real pattern emerged, and the fishing was very patchy. I missed 3 fish in total, with Luke missing at least 2. I had one hit my lure as i lifted it from the water (a solid double) - still gutted i missed it !!

Anyway, Iestyn was on fine form today, and had changed his tactics significantly since last week. He fished an s/p weedless for a good portion of the day, and it seemed to be delivered the goods. I'm sure he'll be on-line in the morning to share the details of his set-up.

Luke had his Video Camera with him today, and shot some footage (hopefully we'll see more footage from him as the season progresses). So here is his handy-work.. . . .

Early doors, and Iestyn hooks into a fish that takes him into the reeds (note me commenting on how the hell we are going to land it) . . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paW3qmetHCo

As it happens, the reeds that the fish had taken the line in to, somewhat masked it's size . . . . .

Iestyn in action - we had to seek out every little area of cover to find the fish . . . .

Me in action . . . .

Iestyn hooks a better fish, which gave a very good account of itself, putting a tremendous bend in his rod . . . . . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXT9PvfKsn4

So, thank-you to Luke for the photo's & video's, a fine job !! Another cracking day in first-class company lads !!!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Simon,
Look like a good day, even if the Pike weren't co-operating like they were last time.
Can't get get your video links to work sadly.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Works now,
And compliments to Luke and his camera skills.

·
Registered
540 Posts
after the high of last weekend I think all 5 of us were expecting rods bending, clutches screaming and lures getting hammered!!! How wrong were we?!?! In anticipation of a bumper day, we set off a full 30 minutes earlier than last week stopping briefly to fuel-up with mcbacon sandwiches, hash browns, double sausage and egg mcmuffins and cappucinos! It was warp factor 11 from Si until we got into the carpark. As usual Tim and George arrived "later" and where spotted running along the banks at a similar warp factor as Simon the stig lewis to catch-up!!!! lol. We were faced with quite tricky conditions today, namely a cold bitting north easterley wind which made fishing light a bit of a mare on times. We all started fishing "Si`s bridge" hoping for a repeat of last week but alas no fish. Well I did manage a tiny pike (greedy sod) which fought well beyond its size, snagging me up and then masquerading as a perch!!! lol. Slight change of plan this week, myself, si and luke headed around the bottom lake whilst tim and george ventured upto the eight arch bridge. It was`nt long before Tim was on the radio saying george had banked a nice pike. Back over on the three stoogies side not alot was happening, I moved 2 fish that only showed themselves right under the rod tip at which time it was to late to try and induce a take. I lost a good fish shortly after (same as last week) bent into it, a couple of headshakes and it threw the lure!! I also missed another fish that slammed my lure as Si and myself were chatting about possibly moving swims. By this time I was beginning to think fishing weedless was maybe the wrong option!! but next cast I got hit and this time the hook found a good hold. A cracking fight ensued with tail-walking, head thrashing etc all of which was excellently recorded by Luke. a quick photo and stewards enquiry regarding the weight and back she went swimming off very strongly. More miles upon miles of walking followed after that with just about every bit of water we could get acces to covered but only follows from pike were all we could manage. at last knockings luke got hit at least twice, on inspection of the lure there were teeth marks everywhere so how it missed the hooks is beyond me and absolutely gutted for luke as he fished solid all day again. I cracked off again this week and unlike last week where i could see the lure out in the middle of the lake, this sp and 3.5grm weighted hook was sitting on the bottom about 40yds out, Si and myself joked about a repeat performance and getting it back, and bugger me 2 or 3 casts later I had it back!!!! lol. Si continued to convert the trees into decorations opting to use hard plastic decorations this week (it was sp`s last week) and the colour theme was red and orange!!! Tim and George returned to the swims that produced fish for them last week, George taking a pb pike of around 8lbs (welld done George). And that was pretty much it. Despite the hard fishing today, the company, banter etc was absolutely spot on and made the entire day absolutely brilliant. I`ve written enough to bore you now so will tell you about the UFO when we were on our way home another time!!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great video, Luke! Did I see you backwinding during the fight, Iestyn? I'll have to learn how to lift the pike out like that as I muffed if for George yesterday. Nice job, guys.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:jump:I'll get a Pike next time !!:horsesword:
I really hope so Luke! Hard luck for yesterday but well done for trying and getting some "hits" on your lures. The Red-head is a real winner isn't it?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Great video, Luke! Did I see you backwinding during the fight, Iestyn? I'll have to learn how to lift the pike out like that as I muffed if for George yesterday. Nice job, guys.
You did in deed!!! I prefer backwinding on fish like pike as there runs are not usually fast, its the drag every time though for speedy fish!!!

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
I cracked off again this week and unlike last week where i could see the lure out in the middle of the lake, this sp and 3.5grm weighted hook was sitting on the bottom about 40yds out, Si and myself joked about a repeat performance and getting it back, and bugger me 2 or 3 casts later I had it back!!!! lol.

I`ve written enough to bore you now so will tell you about the UFO when we were on our way home another time!!
Retrieving an s/p off the bottom of a lake, is just ridiculous !!!

As for the UFO - he aint joking folks - that was muchos wierd !!!

·
Registered
519 Posts
well done guy's on getting out a few fish sounds like you had a really hard day, luke stick at it, there like buses mate, 2 or 3 will turn up at the same time.

kev

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
We plan to make the video footage a regular feature this year. I think we have a budding film-maker here with Luke !!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts