The Lure Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just watched the docu-film "END OF THE LINE", Its really quite sad as a species how we seem to destroy everything we touch. I think I will try to practice more catch and release, I know its a small gesture to a global problem, but I feel I have to start doing more. When fishing I do only take a few for the pot, but sometimes I see and hear of people taking incredible amounts of fish home, and these people then seem to feed a whole community. Last year I heard and saw people who were non commercial landing over 200 bream and hundreds of makeral in one session. What can I do, to me this seems so so wrong.
I'm really dreading this coming season as i really don't want to see or hear about these gross boast of greed by so called anglers who seem intent on just raping our seas for there own personal gain. Man I'm mad now and couldn't believe a restaurant was openely selling endangered fish and where going to note on the menu that customers could eat this fish even though it was on an endangered list. Totally sickening!!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Makes hard viewing doesn't it,
But it isn't just restaurants that are guilty, two local supermarkets were stocking swordfish on their fish counters. But if you make a fuss (billfish foundation endangered cards help), and explain how bad it would look if it got out that they were openly selling an endangered species for sale. They do listen admittedly only through self interest.
I know it seems like there is little we can do, but if we release even one breeding fisn extra this year, then it is a start.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers Dave will look into the billfish foundation cards. Not sure if its an age thing but really find it hard how our greed and desire for cheap food is destroying our fish stocks and our planet.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Sickening yes, disturbing more so. We look to and appoint our leaders to manage supply and demand and I found it very hard to see Ben Bradshaw getting on his hobby horse at the Euro Minister meeting. He had the opportunity to make a differnce, to deliver on an election pledge. Instead he ignorned all the scientific advice and chose for political convienence to satisfy a small voacl minority, and did not adopt the new minimum landing size for Bass. Despite this double dealing, he received a promotion at the next reshuffle.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Without adding to the sickening feeling I get everytime I write or read about this stuff...

Literally thousands of tons of fish aren't for the food chain (real). It's processed for fertilizer !!

Everyone can make a difference. I have to believe that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts