The Lure Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dont know if anyone can help me with this one but.....!

It is recognised that estuarys are often a good spot for bass but I read somewhere (cant remember where!) that they are not so good early season as the fresh water coming down is colder than the sea water. We have a couple of estuarys in my part of sussex that I have had bass on baits in the past but I have never tried them early season. Are they worth a go (with lures) now or should I leave them until summer is really here?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I've had a bass in a Lancashire estuary already (a month ago now) I'm a relative newcomer to it all so was just out trying to learn the actions of some new lures at the time. Guess it depends what your expectation levels are, mine are pretty low so I don't mind getting out there early season and blanking but hope to whittle away the blanks as I gain experience.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Always worth a go Andrew. I've probably said myself that Estuaries may be worth avoiding if the water coming in to them is cold (melting snow whcih we had a lot of this year), but estuaries are always good holding areas. Most are nurseries obviously so there will nearly always be at least small fish around. The main problem that cold water may cause may actually be less to do with the numbers of bass present, but probably more to do with their limited activity or slower metabolism when the water is cooler. They don't need to eat so much in cold temperatures and therefore won't be so aggressive when it comes to feeding - so they're less likely to hit lures.

the temperature(if constant) will probably affect the food that is present too. You might find that worms, shelfish and shrimp are present, but not so much in the way of bait fish. When there are bait fish present, obvioulsy the bass will be more tuned in to eating them (and chasing lures). If they're not there...

It's always worth a go though. Find a hungry one and there will probably be every chance of hooking him.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
The last few years I have had my biggest bass early in the season in my local estuary. Not had one yet this year but April is as early as I have had them in the past. Depending on where you live there may be more fish in the estuaries, they usually have lots of crab present.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts