The Lure Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well hardly worth posting but I tried out my new rod and some of my new SPs on Saturday night.

As expected the 1.5" white swim shad worked.
I caught this tiny guy on it and the new rod made this feel like I had almost caught a fish.

Note the snap link for size. Looks like I might have fowl hooked it. Is anyone noticing a greater tendency to fowl hook on the very small SPs? Think I have seen a few photos where the hook has not gone into the mouth as such.

I mounted the swim shad on a 3g jig head with a size 2 hook.
I was surprised at quite how far I could cast with the new rod at only 6' and at the very bottom of the weight range the 3g worked fine, with a 7g it was as far if not further than my 9' Berkeley. It did seem like I had to be more accurate with overhead casts but could pop it out a decent distance with a sort of waist high wrist flick action. Any pointers on casting with light rods would be good. By light I am talking 3-12g casting weight.

Can't wait to catch a decent size fish on my new setup.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Well hardly worth posting but I tried out my new rod and some of my new SPs on Saturday night.

As expected the 1.5" white swim shad worked.
I caught this tiny guy on it and the new rod made this feel like I had almost caught a fish.

Note the snap link for size. Looks like I might have fowl hooked it. Is anyone noticing a greater tendency to fowl hook on the very small SPs? Think I have seen a few photos where the hook has not gone into the mouth as such.

I mounted the swim shad on a 3g jig head with a size 2 hook.
I was surprised at quite how far I could cast with the new rod at only 6' and at the very bottom of the weight range the 3g worked fine, with a 7g it was as far if not further than my 9' Berkeley. It did seem like I had to be more accurate with overhead casts but could pop it out a decent distance with a sort of waist high wrist flick action. Any pointers on casting with light rods would be good. By light I am talking 3-12g casting weight.

Can't wait to catch a decent size fish on my new setup.
Great effort there Jeremy, Fish are Fish and you are catching them !

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Yea, your snap is too big.
Foul hooking ?
No, not really. Remember these fish aren't exactly chasing around.
I've had a few hooked outside the mouth but I don't class that as fouled.

Well done btw.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts