The Lure Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I have been wetting a line over the last couple of weeks, weather work and family commitments have prevented me having any "proper" sessions.

It was a bit the same yesterday - dropping some lures up to Nigel ( can't believe he is running short ), and a meeting which wasn't scheduled to finish until after 9pm. Very frustrating as for once the weather was looking ok.

As I sat in the car to head home, I took a notion that I should at least make the effort for a quick cast. Even half an hour resets my mind and Mrs W had said before I left home that it would " probably do you good" .

So at 9.45pm I found myself stood in the water up to the O zone in the dark with not another sole to be seen. Conditions were decent and it was almost bang on low water. I had only brought 2 lures with me. A sluggo, and a spare sluggo .

I began the usual cast retrieve move method we all know. There were quite a few sand eels skittering on the surface and the occasional sound of splashing echoing back across the water. It just felt fishy and I was expecting action every cast. After 15 minutes, I was beginning to wonder if my instinct was wrong. I had even seen a couple of disturbances in the gloom which I was sure we're bass. Perhaps they had been salmon or sea trout ?

Another sound of to my right kept the interst going , and a cast in that direction quickly resulted in a pretty savage hit. There was no messing and the rod was quickly bent into what felt like something weighty. The head nodding coming back up the line also indicated a decent fish, but there was no sign of the screaming run that often follows.

After a dogged rather than spectacular affair, I waded back the shallow and flicked on my headlight. She was indeed a good looking fish and certainly the best of the year.

She had engulfed the sluggo and was quite deeply hooked. I think this was the reason for the unusual scrap - I am sure lip hooked fish fight much harder. I managed to extract the single hook with my pliers but she was showing signs of not faring to well.

A quick measure shot was enough as I didn't want to do any more damage trying for a glory pose. She was back in the water pretty quickly, but I really thought she wasn't going to make it. I was gutted , as this beautiful fish lay there looking pretty poorly and couldn't really bear the thought of having been her downfall.

I swished her about, moved her mouth up and down by the jaw , and after what seemed an age, she started to show some signs of strength returning. First the jaw started going, her eye pointing down,. The pectoral fins started their circular motion, but she still wouldn't stay upright in the shallows. I think I must have spent 15 minutes or more getting her going, but she eventually steadied herself and slowly swan away through the surf. I don't know whether she will make it , but I feel better that I have at least given her a fighting chance.

Here's a few rushed pictures that I managed.

72 cm on the measure

Trying to steady herself

Slowly away

I had a few more casts after she had gone, but if I am honest , my heart was no longer in it. I am sure a longer stint would have seen more fish, but with an early physio session next day I called it quits and was home by 11pm. A short session but well worth the effort!

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Nice one Kev!

Stunning fish! That 71cm I had last month was hooked in the mouth, but still took a good 5-10 min to recover. Im convinced the larger specimens take longer to recover, but its worth it......nothing better than watching them swim off!

Reactions: Dr Who

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Superb fish again Kevin.

Now lets get this straight Kevin. Mrs W was doing an audit on your fishing gear & you said "those aren't mine, they are Nigel's".

That is the only reason that those lures ended up at my door.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Superb fish again Kevin.

Now lets get this straight Kevin. Mrs W was doing an audit on your fishing gear & you said "those aren't mine, they are Nigel's".

That is the only reason that those lures ended up at my door.
You have some new braid on the way as well Nigel.

It follows on the the budget planner discussion earlier this week.

" how much a year do you spend on fishing tackle "

·
Registered
476 Posts
That must feel a really rewarding fish. Great report and pics of her in the water. And with the amount of care you put into getting her back and swimming she really deserves to make it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts