The Lure Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Marine zones. Look here

Get yours votes in, it's your local angling marks at stake. Some zones are being pushed as complete 'no take'. Including angling! Be careful though if you vote for the zones because there is no option for 'buffer zones'

In Sussex that is the whole coast line from Beachy to Seaford Head proposed as a highly protected area i.e. no angling!

·
Registered
268 Posts
This has been looked into. Believe it or not the only people legally allowed on the beaches between mean high and low water are fishermen. This right was granted under Magna Carta and can not be rescinded by government or local bye-law.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have just emailed them asking for clarification as to what I am voting for, its not clear from their site.

I would vote yet if C&R was allowed but no if it wasn't.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Be very careful chaps as Pugs says this will also ban angling, bait digging, bait collecting etc etc. The only representatives we anglers have work for the Angling Trust, one of my friends is a representative for the east coast with others of course. These so called marine conservation areas are as any British Conservation group would want...a total ban on people angling, bait collecting/digging or using the areas as a local amenities. The idea sounds great but when run by these groups could mean the end of angling around these areas.
They want anyone's votes whether they know anything about these areas or not, whether they actually use the amenity or not..not the local people or people who use these areas. I would ensure you are a paid up member of the Angling Trust and contact them for further information.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I think the zones are necessary for the future of fishing. Fish stocks in Australia are much more healthy than here due to their zoning laws. Also the best fishing can be found right along the boundaries of the zones :wink::wink:.

A

·
0 Posts
Agree with Ben - regardless of whether your favourite mark is included everyone should vote for them. The fish populations in the UK (and the world) need all the help they can get. All destructive fishing practices should be banned (all trawaling and dredging) and strict quota's brought in.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Ben, Andy I agree with the sentiments but this is not Australia. We are the country that thinks conservation means banning not managing, once these areas are lost they could be lost for good. Unfortunately conservation by the conservationist groups for conservations sake can mean and has already been suggested that even walking on some beaches may be banned .."because it may disturb the birds".

Angling groups in this country are weak because of apathy and possibly because we have always thought that it was our right to fish almost when and where we want to, as Dave stated it's in the Magna Carta.

Time to wake up! I might be a cinic but I don't trust any of our so called conservationists to protect what ever right we have to fish with out our representative organisations playing a lead role......I might be wrong but I very much doubt it...

·
Registered
437 Posts
Fair call on the conservationists. We need some sort of agreement on a rotational system for the zones. Zoning will also improve the fish stocks in the areas. Not good for shorterm but I think it's the only way. Most of us may be c&r or keep a limited number of the right sized fish. But for everyone of us there are 4 who keep all! How can you say who can fish? Or indeed prove you are purely c&r?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fair call on the conservationists. We need some sort of agreement on a rotational system for the zones. Zoning will also improve the fish stocks in the areas. Not good for shorterm but I think it's the only way. Most of us may be c&r or keep a limited number of the right sized fish. But for everyone of us there are 4 who keep all! How can you say who can fish? Or indeed prove you are purely c&r?
I don't think it's a fair call at all! Anglers have little impact down in that particular area, probably because most cant be arsed with the long hikes and dodgy ground. It should have been made a buffer zone not an out and out NTZ. A buffer zone conserves a considerable amount of the marine life.

If they want to conserve in that area, then in my opinion they should stop the tourists and prevent the national park from allowing canoeists to slide down the banks and run a muck in the Cuckmere....

On a nostalgic note it's where the great John Darling lived and wrote his famous Bass books based upon this area, how amny people have used that information to help them catch that elusive double, porbably quite a few I imagine

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Pugs said:
If they want to conserve in that area, then in my opinion they should stop the tourists and prevent the national park from allowing canoeists to slide down the banks and run a muck in the Cuckmere....
Neil...but that's the attitude these groups thrive on ..the "If I can't have what I want why should they" and very soon you end up playing into their hands and nobody has any access rights...What we should be doing is joining forces with the other user groups against the "out right" conservationists and using that joint power to get everyone the right levels of access. This society today has become too intolerant..why should the canoeists not have access to Cuckmere? why shouldn't we have access to fish these marine conservation areas along with others?? The answer usually is the armchair conservationists who watch the TV and vote to prevent this because "it seems the right thing to do".
We shouldn't be trying to ban others because we don't have the access, we should be joining forces and helping one another...that's the only way any of us stand a chance against English Nature or any of the local conservation groups. Simply because of the airhead do gooders who sit infront of a TV and take in all the propaganda thrown at them by the conservationists. There is always 2 sides to every discussion but when do you see our point being put across on TV for instance...virtually never and until we do, we will have little say in what happens. I still say join the Angling Trust the more members the stronger we will get..

Apologies....for the rant....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Neil...but that's the attitude these groups thrive on ..the "If I can't have what I want why should they" and very soon you end up playing into their hands and nobody has any access rights...What we should be doing is joining forces with the other user groups against the "out right" conservationists and using that joint power to get everyone the right levels of access. This society today has become too intolerant..why should the canoeists not have access to Cuckmere? why shouldn't we have access to fish these marine conservation areas along with others?? The answer usually is the armchair conservationists who watch the TV and vote to prevent this because "it seems the right thing to do".
We shouldn't be trying to ban others because we don't have the access, we should be joining forces and helping one another...that's the only way any of us stand a chance against English Nature or any of the local conservation groups. Simply because of the airhead do gooders who sit infront of a TV and take in all the propaganda thrown at them by the conservationists. There is always 2 sides to every discussion but when do you see our point being put across on TV for instance...virtually never and until we do, we will have little say in what happens. I still say join the Angling Trust the more members the stronger we will get..

Apologies....for the rant....
I agree on what you are saying, the remark is 'tongue in cheek', it just grives me that you have a warden down there, who is dead set against angling and how she goes on about anglers making noise (yeah I can imagine that at 4AM on a Friday morning...not!)when quite clearly other 'disturbing' sports to wildlife can go on...just a point not an action.

I also totally agree with the armchair conservationists....probably go there every so often, wonder at the beauty of the place and then go home and vote for total bans...what would they know, however it is a powerful force and one we need to be aware of.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
however it is a powerful force and one we need to be aware of.
Agree mate...we have a lot of work to do and the biggest job is to get every angler off his lazy ar*e and actually do something about it.... Apathy as you say is our biggest enemy within...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Organisations have to take account of the wealth angling can generate for an area, bringing much needed guests to country hotels and supporting local businesses. Also, as has been said, angling has very little impact overall on fish stocks and local habitats ( I for one hardly ever catch anything !). Marine conservation should inhibit commercial fishing in given areas, thus allowing fish stocks to thrive and in turn benefiting those commercial fishermen in the long run. One only has to look at the increases in Cod in Icelandic waters, after they increased their no fish zones for European trawlers to 200 miles. This had the unfortunate effect of wrecking our fishing industry in the north east, but there has to be a happy medium surely.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts