The Lure Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody heard about the proposed legislation for an exclusion of commercial fishing - 1 mile from shore........??? Is there any truth in this rumor?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,581 Posts
Too good to be true??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,632 Posts
Well looks like a step in the right direction, it would have a massive impact around my neck of the woods as it would remove ALOT of gill nets.
If it happens, I just hope they enforce better than they enforce the bass protection zones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,581 Posts
Have looked around a bit and it actually looks like it's been suggested regularly from as far back as 2005, or before. BASS mention it in their management plan (gill nets at least), and its listed at the moment on the BNP website (the first place I came to when looking for (uk commercial inshore fishing "1 mile") on google).

This is interesting too (although a little more general and off-topic): http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cac ... x0Plicz3wA

"Bass fishing is controversial. Commercial fishermen accuse sport fishermen of taking their
catches.".... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....... whatever! I know this is a couple of years old but if we can widely promote C&R, perhaps a 2 fish limit will eventually be introduced as law - as in Ireland. The above argument will also dissappear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya my mate Ian, has been talkin with his friend, who works for fisheries commission. Ive told him to recheck what was said, with his friend, as if its true, it would be fantastic news....waiting to hear back from him now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
357 Posts
I think it is to good to be true, but wish it would happen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,889 Posts
The Squid said:
I think it is to good to be true, but wish it would happen.
Even if it does Chris it won't happen here.
Too much looking after self interests and the gains of the few
for that.

If Jersey have the option to opt out, they invariably will as always.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,365 Posts
Trouble is it might push more commercials into targeting them on there offshore breeding grounds where theres a lot more damage done.
You can see the inshore commercials so there easy to moan about.Why o why dont people put as many moans into the mass slaughter that goes on every Jan,Feb,March by the offshore trawlers.If you push more commercials outside the 1 mile they might find where the big concentrations are,then it wont matter if theres a 1 mile ban coz there won't be any fish to come in.
:rollineyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
357 Posts
steve mullins said:
Trouble is it might push more commercials into targeting them on there offshore breeding grounds where theres a lot more damage done.
You can see the inshore commercials so there easy to moan about.Why o why dont people put as many moans into the mass slaughter that goes on every Jan,Feb,March by the offshore trawlers.If you push more commercials outside the 1 mile they might find where the big concentrations are,then it wont matter if theres a 1 mile ban coz there won't be any fish to come in.
:rollineyes:
You have got that right Steve.

Maybe commercial fisherman should be looking at the ways our forefathers (my family included) fished commercially.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
I could imagine wat fishing would be like if this golden mile restriction was imposed.I remember this being brought up 1 or 2 years ago. have recently heard from a good friend of mine who vists alderney 2 or 3 times a year to lure fish for bass, he has just come back from a week stay and had 1 lure caught bass between 3 people . Apparently commercial netsmen have festooned the waters around the island within casting range and are taking up to 500 kilos a day many in the 7 to 10 llb bracket .How disturbing is that!.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,889 Posts
heath birchenough said:
I could imagine wat fishing would be like if this golden mile restriction was imposed.I remember this being brought up 1 or 2 years ago. have recently heard from a good friend of mine who vists alderney 2 or 3 times a year to lure fish for bass, he has just come back from a week stay and had 1 lure caught bass between 3 people . Apparently commercial netsmen have festooned the waters around the island within casting range and are taking up to 500 kilos a day many in the 7 to 10 llb bracket .How disturbing is that!.
Now you might understand why it's so hard down here.
People look at Channel Islands and reckon its festooned with Bass.

It is festooned with nets, selfishness and back pocket politicians.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top