The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I did a quick recon mission, 30 mins or so along a coastal footpath, West of Mousehole, Penzance. Looked like there were a few promising deep water rock spots to fish from, so I planned to head out the next morning.

So, today, geared up and headed off. Beautiful weather, fishing 2 hours before high, with some exploring to do. Arrived at the first spot, and started out with an Xlayer, bouncing off the bottom in the deep water. Felt very snaggy, and soon had a stuck lure. Couldn't shift it, so on with the glove and pulled the braid till the line came free, one Megabass Xlayer with decoy bachi head lost. It snapped at the clip, so at least my Fluro leader knot was working well! :-D

Moved to another spot, and decided to try a plug. Slipped a Megabass Vision OneTen on, exciteadly moved down the rock, cast and SNAP. One £20 plug flying for freedom, first cast. Completely my own fault, in my hast, forgot to put the bail arm over!!! ROOKIE error. Again, snapped at the clip.

So I slip another clip on, and proceed with a Megabass Zonk. Not long, and I had a fish on. Nice little fight, and had a 1lb 7oz bass landed. In my excitement to weigh and photo the fish, had left the plug hooked, whilst delving into my bag, the bass shook and jumped all over the granite, grazing my lovely Zonk. ROOKIE error!

So, moving further down the coast, another nice spot to try from. Threw the scarred Zonk out a bit more, soon had another take, be it a small one. Quickly brought a small Garfish ashore, the Zonk almost the same size!

Garfish returned, cast out and SNAP. Another £20 gone, as the Zonk flys off into the blue yonder. Feeling a little peed off now, but again, my own fault. Should have checked my line properly after the first crack off, this time it snapped at the leader knot. ROOKIE error!

New leader tied on, and decide to go with the soft plastics. Back with the trusty Xlayer, trying my best to avoid the snags, had a fish on, and a small Pollack landed.

Switched over to a 4" Reins Rockvib, and from the same spot, had another small Pollack. However this one was lost at my feet in the surf. Decided to call it a day and headed off home. Quick pic of the kind of spots I fished;

So pleased with catching fish at a stretch of coast I have not explored before, but now facing the cost of replacing the plugs. To be expected now and then, but it certainly taught me to be patient, remember the basics, and check your line and knots! :-D

·
Registered
712 Posts
Good report Paul, a painful loss of plugs. I've to taken to changing my leader if I've had to really tear a lure out or break it off it seems to stress the flouro and it loses much of it strength. Its a bit of a pain but I've lost good fish and lures having not changed it after pulling out of snags and a leader has subsequently broken with minimal force. I don't know if other people do the same.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
cracking fish mate shame about the losses though as you say it happens. i will certainly be checking my leaders more often in the future.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
well done mate sorry about the loses though .

·
Registered
141 Posts
Good days fishing there!

Regarding the losses: It sounds so familiar that you lost two in the same session. I had a Feed Shallow and then a Patchinko crack off in the same session, both because i wasnt concentrating.

A friend of mine also lost two in the same session.

Its as if -£20 quid gives you a little nudge but -£40 gives you a kick in the ********!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Part of the learning curve I guess! I have had similar experiences on more than one occasion :(

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
A friend of mine also lost two in the same session
Hmmmm, I'm sure it was sabotage for laughing at you losing yours!

Nice fishing Paul, unfortunately it all goes with the territory. Happens to the best of us, simple lapse of concentration and it's goodbye bling bling.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What a great report, sorry to hear of your losses though, is there a permanent problem with the reel? What reel is it?
No problems with the equipment at all, everything was down to user error. I have done it a couple of times, I put my back pack down on a dry rock, carry my rod out to the spot I am gonna fish from with my finger already to cast on the braid, with the finger in position, sub-conciously assume all is ready to go and whack! Full cast without even moving the bail arm over :x Usually it means a plug slapping the water in front of me, getting away with it, but not this time! However, with the loss of the plug that way, I am sure it will be the last time I do that mistake!

I also need to be a little less lazy with regards to my leader, and maybe change it a little more often, and check it for any signs of wear. As I am new to tieing knots, I tend to leave the leader alone once I am happy there is a good knot in place. It's all a big learning curve, thankfully accelerated by this awesome forum!

·
Registered
456 Posts
If its any consolation Paul, I lost two plugs earlier in the year in similar circumstances on the same stretch of coastline and boy did I stew on it for a few days. Its always your favourites that go. Maybe its worth doing a bit of beach combing around there!

The first one that I set free went in style. I accidentally just brought the leader knot inside the tip eye and when that one cracked off, it sailed miles. Second one I lost when I had a really hard bite about 8 foot out and the impact caused my leader knot to part. Sometimes the only way to learn is to make the mistakes yourself. At £20 a time, I find I can learn faster than I thought! The vast experience shared on this excellent forum can fast track you along the learning curve thats for sure.

For the rough ground you are fishing I now use the improved albright knot plus super glue, 30lb braid and 30lb fluoro and havent lost one since and I have pulled out of some serious snags and lifted some decent fish in rough weather.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Great report Paul, i enjoyed reading that but obviously sorry for the lost lures -I DO know how that feels when you are mean and tight fisted as I am!

·
Registered
833 Posts
Nice reading, sorry to hear about the lost lures.I'm feeling your pain but at least you got some fun fishing in. I went fishing last week and temporarily lost two fortunately less expensive lures ( £10)..... i'm not sure what was worse loosing them because my bale arm seems to slip over locking the cast or watching the lures floating around you. Fortunately my mate manages to cast and hook up one lure while the tide brought the second one home with a bit of help from a 10 foot rod. After reading a thread about a guy on here falling in trying to retrieve a lure it will make me think twice about putting myself in the front line of danger for a £10 - £20 lure. My main issue is the reel which I will post in a separate thread.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Great report Paul, i enjoyed reading that but obviously sorry for the lost lures -I DO know how that feels when you are mean and tight fisted as I am!
Mr Walker dear sir,

many things you maybe, but tight fisted is not one of them!!

The bubbly went went down very well. Thank you. My shout at the Cornish bumble. Oh dear, I wish I had not said that! Look forward to seeing you again. My son Charles will be accompanying me. He looks forward to shaking your hand and kicking your shins!!!

yours excited as always!

Nick

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
i have started replacing my leader every 2 sessions now always tied on with a improved albright knot and thus far i have loast anything on the cast or snags and pulled out with 20lb braid and 30lb leader.
Andrew if your reel is playing up mate i have a spare here doing nowt loaded with braid and leader ready to go. use that till you sort a new reels if you want mate.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts