The Lure Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
As a relative newcomer to lure fishing for bass, I have been wondering what are peoples experiences of fishing into or through the winter in the South West or South East of Ireland. What conditions are best or should it just be avoided until the spring?

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Fished it right through last year with the lures and the soft plastics from the shore and off the boat.... shore was a complete waste of time and the boat was not to bad with some nice pollock and wrass being caught off shore..... feel the pain opening lure clips in the thick of winter its fantastic.... will be giving it another 3/4 weeks mabey till december after that its next spring...... as always different strokes for different folks we are based in Wexford and fish the whole south coast in our county and in to Waterford the odd time.....will be interesting to see what sort of replys you get from the Irish lads on what they make of it, also depends what location you are in aswell the further south west you are the warmer the water temp so thats a plus if your in that neck of the woods.....

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
for me it depends a lot on the weather as too how long the season lasts, but I stop luring in the sea for January thru to March and start again in April. The bass only really start to show in June (they were later this year), but the pollack sometimes start to show in March. January thru March sees me luring on the rivers and canals. Oh, this is for Dorset (shore).

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hello Grant,
If conditions are right there can be a serious crab moult in Nov through to Dec/Jan. I am not too sure whether its a male crab moult or female. No matter the scent seems to bring the bigger female fish into the estuaries to feed on this winter bounty. SPs are the weapon of choice fished slowly or bounced along the current. Delande shads or anything with a scent or paddle tail should do the trick. Bannow estuary and the estuary behind Tramore have a proven track record. There is no reason that Ring estuary or Courtmacsherry are any different.
I for one will not be hanging up the rod this winter. Last year the winter fishing did not take off due to the weather turning the estuaries into a mud bath. Calm dry weather with a nice frost to bring on the moult would be the ideal conditions.One thing is for sure the chance of a fish of a life time will be caught in these months. Finding the hotspots in an estuary would be the key. Narrow the key times with regards to crab moult by keeping in contact with the bait fishermen who would have crab traps out; or better again fish a SP over their crab traps;-) There are a lot of people on here who have fished for Bass throughout the winter and can give you a better insight, but I will see you in Courtmac in Nov:mrgreen:
regards
Bob

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
during the winter it is the cock crabs that are moulting if this helps. Being the larger of the species sex wise they are destined for bigger fish to prey upon.
Happens in the southwest of england every year.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello Grant,
If conditions are right there can be a serious crab moult in Nov through to Dec/Jan. I am not too sure whether its a male crab moult or female. No matter the scent seems to bring the bigger female fish into the estuaries to feed on this winter bounty. SPs are the weapon of choice fished slowly or bounced along the current. Delande shads or anything with a scent or paddle tail should do the trick. Bannow estuary and the estuary behind Tramore have a proven track record. There is no reason that Ring estuary or Courtmacsherry are any different.
I for one will not be hanging up the rod this winter. Last year the winter fishing did not take off due to the weather turning the estuaries into a mud bath. Calm dry weather with a nice frost to bring on the moult would be the ideal conditions.One thing is for sure the chance of a fish of a life time will be caught in these months. Finding the hotspots in an estuary would be the key. Narrow the key times with regards to crab moult by keeping in contact with the bait fishermen who would have crab traps out; or better again fish a SP over their crab traps;-) There are a lot of people on here who have fished for Bass throughout the winter and can give you a better insight, but I will see you in Courtmac in Nov:mrgreen:
regards
Bob
Thanks Bob,

Great information and greatly appreciated, I was hoping I wouldn't have to mothball the rods until spring, so out with thermals and soft plastics!

So with the estuaries as the target does that rule out rocky marks on the coast?

Cheers Grant.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I have not tried the rock marks during winter,I would not rule anything out. The water temperature during the winter would play a major part. Kerry has fished well in Dec/Jan when conditions are right, the Gulf stream has a major say here. John Quinlan and Kevin Brain the well known Bass guides would put you right. The willingness to travel at short notice when a suitable weather/tide window opens id say is the key.
regards
Bob

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have not tried the rock marks during winter,I would not rule anything out. The water temperature during the winter would play a major part. Kerry has fished well in Dec/Jan when conditions are right, the Gulf stream has a major say here. John Quinlan and Kevin Brain the well known Bass guides would put you right. The willingness to travel at short notice when a suitable weather/tide window opens id say is the key.
regards
Bob
Seems like a big learning curve getting the tides, weather, location and tactics right, certainly a challenge. As you suggest some time with one of the guides might help with this.
Thanks again, hopefully bump into you in November.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts