The Lure Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have a seal Colony not to far from where i live and have never fished the ground as a result, the conditions looked Great and thought why, well what the heck, let go and experiment to see if i can fish amongst the seals and catch!

I got to the location of which there was plenty of movement, whte water, BIG surf, 18mph wind in my face and seals from the off, i counted 4 seals within 50 meters from where i was fishing but never felt confidant to tell you the truth, but kept on none the less.

One of the things i have always done is to match the colour of the lure i am using to the conditions for example: bright day bright lure and the opposite for a dark day, well this was a really bad day, rain, fog, very dark, so on go's the darker lures! but nothing.

I kept on moving exploring the areas and trying to get out of this flippin WIND, but it seemed the seals was also doing the very same thing i was. Anyway i found what looked like a Bass haven, i think the bass must have thought so to, as i counted 12 seals in this small bay.

I scaled down this cliff in the pouring rain which normally i don't mind doing, but in the rain and fog was finding it hard to locate a route down, but anyway 30 minutes later and i reached the bottom.

The ground looked perfect, it really did but how on earth am i going to catch surrounded by seals!!!! i stayed there for about hours and not a touch, and thought time to go home, but i had a thought of changing the colour of the lure to really bright, same lure but BRIGHT!

Oh ya i forgot to say every cast was WEED and i mean 3 or four turns of the reel and weed on, but anyway i changed lure to bright and walked back to the waters edge with out getting washed in by the waves and swell.

First cast, 2 turns of the handle Bang Fish on!!!! Seals everywhere and flippin bass on, whats all that about! I landed the bass only a 1 lb but who cares, that would of been a great snack for a seal. i walked back to photograph the bass and then walked back back to the waters edge and as i did, right where i was standing was the target of a land slide, How flippin luck was that, the noise was so loud!

Back to the fishing and 6 casts later Bang bass on, this one was bigger, but not much, but who cares....I couldn't understand why these bite size bass are sharing the area with i would be scared to estimate how many seals, in all i had counted 16 seals since i started fishing there.

By this time the weed was really bad, but i still kept on bringing in bass, the closest seal to me whilst i caught one of the bass must of been 20 meters away!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Nice one mate.

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Nice one Nathan

As I have found, seals = fish. Seals don't put me off fishing at any spot.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Great report and pics Nathan well done. I dont mind seeing the seals if they are there it must be for food.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Super stuff Nathan - great report!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Nice one Nath - I have to say, the seals never put me off either although I've never seen that many in one place! We do see them most trips but I always think they are a sign of food in the area...

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Good session Nathan, glad you weren't buried under 100 tons...

I fish around the Calf of Man (off the south off IoM) where there are a couple of colonies of seals, maybe 200 in total. We tend to find that when they are resting on the rocks the fishing's ok, when they are in the water the fishing is poop. I say tends because it's not always that way; the reverse can be true as well.
Sorry, that wasn't very informative, but we find that the presence of seals isn't very informative either...

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Well, well, not fishing again mate! Great report. So the weed continues to hamper things in Cornwall. South Devon coast clear yesterday.

I have a seal theory. Like any other ocean predator , tuna, marlin , swordfish, dolphin, killer whales etc, they will be drawn to schooling fish. Seals have never stopped me catching but nothing of any size. If they can push a shoal in shore they can pick them off. Easier than chasing one big one. No different to killer whales attacking seals close in. There are lots of little uns'. Tasty snacks.

Just a theory!!!.......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts