The Lure Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is a really easy squid fly to tie...

It's tied on a size 4 811s

Tentacles 4x white hackles spotted with a black permanent marker.. Included here are 4 strands of cream Funky Flexi tied in and doubled over... then large white hackle tied in close 2/3 of feather remainder of shank pearl Lureflash cactus fritz to give inner sparkle and body to the Hareline EZ Body... medium (remove the spectra threas strands). Add 2x Funky Eyes 3D laser Rainbow 6mm.

Cover EZ Body with Bug-Bond for a firm but flexible body....

Couple of minutes to tie...

·
Registered
519 Posts
that looks great dave, how about a little step by step picture tutorial mate, would like to knock them up on some small jig heads.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Looks the business....

Can anyone point me in the direction of a stockist for eyes like that?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
They would be great on a jig head. If vanes could be incorporated in the body shell we could get them the slide back and forth too.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I'm with Scott on that one...although lrf'd I'm sure they'd work great too with a 1g or 2g jig head.
I was thinking with the sinking caro you could let it sink whilst giving little twitches then give it a good rip to imitate the quick movement of a real squid. Similar to how this prawn fly is presented here at 1:10. ;)

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Thanks for that Scott....as the saying goes, a picture speaks a thousand words and I can see where you're coming from. For that a caro definitely makes more sense.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
caro fishing any fly design works did it a lot last year, also flies work on the lrf front i will be experiementing with more patterns during the year on lrf flies

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
caro fishing any fly design works did it a lot last year, also flies work on the lrf front i will be experiementing with more patterns during the year on lrf flies
Going by what you've reported so far Mike that should make for very interesting reading as well as a fascinating experiment. Are you only looking at the use of flies using lrf techniques or you going to be fly fishing them as well?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Bit of both mate i have been playing with lighter weighed flies using bead chain and small dumbell eyes on split shot rigs, and tube flies tied to 2.8 grams fully dressed real pollock killers. I have been using a 6wt for it too the power curve is equivilent to a 5-7 gram rod tried my 4 wt rods though just could achieve distance required then in urban scenario's small roll casts on a 6wt are good. tried the switch rods though not working too tippy for urban work.

Caro fishing was great with hollow flies and flatwings using 15 gram sinknig caro rigs down to 8 grams for lighter using versions i got from **** very impressive results.Funded all my basic swffing kit again and replaced a cheaper lure kit but thats another story. I have atattched the tube version also played with tying in lazer lights from sea trout fishing fished deep and slow these worked very well.
All fun and games:-D

Attachments

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Sounds like brilliant fun has been had already. SWFF is something I'm looking forward to trying myself this year starting with the mullet April/May time which should be possible regardless of wind on the mark I have in mind for I can wade a mile (literally!!). I shall therefore be following your exploits with a keen eye!

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
SWFFing is great fun and a miriad of species to be had both frsh and salt with the same rods just tie differing flies, i often take the 8wt salt rods to freshwater or vica versa mate Mullet are great and well deserve there (british bonefish title).

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Thanks Mike. I've used fresh water olive damsel fly nymphs for little schoolies before but other than that I'm a saltwater virgin! Do you have any fly recommendations for saltwater to cover a range of species? Thinking mullet (including GG's) and bass in the main.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts