The Lure Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilst I compile the photo's etc I would like to thank everyone who turned up tonight.
It was hard but...

Fish were caught.
In fact, as many of blokes left, a few better Pollack started to show but, to very small baits again worked lift and slow fall.

I reckon there was 11 of us fishing tonight. That is some turnout guys, keep it up as things can only improve. Come on, F6 NNE, sea temp 6.8 deg, 6ft white horses just 500 yards away...

Can it actually be any harder ?
The fact is, fish were caught and I'm pleased to say, one of the new recruits got a nice Pouting. Excellent m8, well done.
Log that bite and now you know what to feel for, it will be much easier to repeat.

Bites were very hard to hit and even harder to detect in the first place. I was down to my 6lb braid, a 5lb fluorocarbon leader and a tiny xlayer. Even that was too big but I needed the weight to make the depth and maintain contact. I know alot of you guys are new to lighter braids and handling it isn't always easy. I've got a wind know to undo in daylight tomorrow. Casting across such windy conditions with lightweight stuff and limp thin braid in the dark is a disaster waiting to happen. I'll get it sorted though.

Right...

Processing some pics and I'll add to this thread when they are ready.

Thanks again guys and well done, even for turning out you all deserve a medal.

Long live the soft plastics.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Nice one Keith! Brilliant turn out!!!!!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Here are the photo's guys..

Guys who caught were...

Liam H, Tom Phillips, Myself, Kevin and Jeremy Taylor.

Everyone will get their turn and it's not a competition guys, its about sharing some time as anglers and learning together..

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
White seems to be a popular colour (with the fish).

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Had a great time last night Kevin and Keith, as you say conditions can only get better LOL. I learned loads last night and I look forward to the next bumble.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Well done on getting out there guys, never mind catching! What strikes me is how deeply these relatively small fish have taken the lures even in very cold water. When things finally warm up these techniques are going to be awesome and you will start getting some bigger fish on the light kit - now that will be a laugh! Just waiting for my "light" rod to turn up now...

·
Registered
218 Posts
It was great fun looking forward to the next one I can make it to.
For me the best thing was learning some tips about the venue. Everyone was also very helpful giving tips and techniques.

·
Registered
324 Posts
well done Jeremy on taking that first fish, as you say a good night with loads of tips

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
top marks for getting out in the crap weather - you guys are proving that lure fishing CAN be done all year round ...
Did a similar thing in Dartmouth last October - was puzzling as my grandad was outfishing me 4 fish to one until I realised that he had changed the plastic for a tiny bit of ragworm on the jighead crafty geeet!

Keith I am going to buy you a smile kit for Easter!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You guys need to see what goodies arrived this morning.

My Grasdos (smelt) and goby softies arrived..

TINY isn't the word but they are awesome in their detail. From Japan obviously.

Long live the Grasdos.

btw:

HRF trip tomorrow: Anyone interested who doesn't know the details, PM me.
Most likely, 11:00 thru 15:00 or thereabouts.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Keep it going guys, it looks like brilliant fun. I checked out one of the marks Dave and I want to fish this morning and the colour has dropped out nicely. Might still have to switch venues as the carpark at the end is now full of caravans...... very unwelcome sight.

Keith, any chance you could put up pics of your new softies? And where you got them from ? I have loads of small stuff already but always looking for new ideas.

These are pretty good as a smelt or generic baitfish imitation. I use colour 06 and 22. Not sure if they are availble through mail order though.

http://www.jurofishing.com/product.php?prodID=148

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Whaaaaaaat? SP's for Grasdos? I thought they were plankton feeders?? If I had some of your new lures I could have avoided the blank with that shoal we saw in the shallow water at the end

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mark:

They make those 3" grubs look like wrecking plastics.

I reckon we are talking size 12, 14 or even 16 hooks to 1 or 2lb leader and 0.3 PE main.

Made by Yamashita.

They fit inside an average thumbnail !

Perfect.

SLRF at it's finest I think. Now, just got to sight fish me a goby..

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts