feed shallow casts like a dry sock | Page 2 | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

feed shallow casts like a dry sock

Discussion in 'Diving Hard Lures' started by {name}, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Striper

Would agree mostly with you mine are the original type from early 2009...about the only lure i have left from that time...you always feel you have to lash it out to get a good cast...its afish catcher all the same..........

2. Pollock

i must amit i have 2 feed shallows and 1 is not as good as the other the magnets on one are a lot stronger.
    so you have to give it a good wack or shake the balls to the back of the plug before i cast it,both plugs are the same age ,or should i say bought at the same time
    they could of been made at ,different times

3. Sea Trout

the 128 casts ok somtimes alot of tumbling but the 105 goes like a bullet

4. Perch

this is a problem when casting plastic, if the plug starts spinning while in the air it loses distance, i have noticed i can lose 3rd of the distance when this happens.
    for me it's when i do a sloppy cast, sometimes it just happens for no reason.
    however if i cast my z-claw magnum which is pretty heavy i can't get any distance at all, no matter how much i try it always spins in the air.
    my feed shallow + plus casts real well, those extra bearings do make a big difference (think it has at least 3)

5. Bass

What's the trick to getting it not to spin then?

my FS always spins and casts pretty poorly IMO compared to even a Komomo2 or Crystal Min.

Badboy, Patchinko, Zonk, in that order are my best casting. Zonk sometimes spins, the others not so much.

6. Chub

It depends on your rod to a degree, with my rod bar and try and start slowly, bringing the rod round in an arc, and when loaded look for a crisp "snap" to the finish with a good pull with the bottom hand

7. Salmon

It casts best when the braid really pings your index finger on the release! Its hard to describe, because it differs with each rod.

8. Bass

right. i got a rod bar too, with a long drop ( to first ring-ish ) and I tend to hold the rod up and back at about 45deg then swing lure toward me then out, when it's right out, I'll put the power on and sort of whip into it.

so I'll try and be smoother, more of a sweep into it, rather than a whip maybe?

9. Bass

I know what you're sayin mark, you know when you've done it right. proper twanngggg!

10. Bass

Hi Sean,
    Your not the only one, i am not a big fan either. I know they catch for everyone but i still just don't like them!

11. CoFounder & Retired Admin VIP Partner

Try each cast with different drop between the tip and lure, sometime a really short drop suits certain lures, and sometimes a long drop and slower cast will get those bigger lures out further and straighter. Do many of you pendulum cast your lures? I mean like a fishing pendulum? I do it with lures I know I can load the rod well with, like a Patchinko on a Super Mix or Rod Bar, you can really hit it when you load the rod properly. In all fairness it doesnt get you alot more distance, but it does feel good when it goes right and the wind catches it perfect.

12. Striper

That's a good tip Mick. I find the smaller lures and sp's cast better on a short leader, even up by the to ring. However the bigger lures load better with a bit of leader out of the top ring. Especially as you say if you use a sort of pendulum cast.
    Talking of pendulums, funnily enough:- just found a sock under the bed which looks like it would cast just like a feed shallow.:clap::clap::clap::clap:

13. Salmon

Interesting stuff, with smaller lighter lures I find a longer drop, allows me to load the rod better, larger heavier lure don't seem to need as much drop, or at least the extra drop doesn't seem to add to the distance of the cast. Totally with Mick on pendulums, and worth remembering to aim your cast slightly higher as that also adds distance.
    Just goes to show a bit of personal experiementation with casting is better than taking anyone elses word for what is best.

14. Guest

I totally agree with Mick regarding the drop.

For what its worth I also find that getting the lure balanced before you cast helps reduce lure wobble during the cast. By that I mean the lure should not be swinging on the lureclip (the same clip that we all try to make as movement free as possible). A straight line down the leader and through the horizontal axis of the lure. Sounds complicated but just takes a second or two and adds yards.

15. Salmon

Good point Paul, I found that made a huge difference when casting the Daiwa SLS-14F, A couple of extra seconds = much less tumbling in flight.
    Also Casting straight (rod moving through only one plane) makes a big difference as well, both in distance and reducing the tumbling.

16. Mackerel

To set the bearings just swing the lure from front to back horizontally and you will hear the bearings setting. Then it usually flies out with no wobble.
    Tommy