Feed shallow issues.... | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Feed shallow issues....

Discussion in 'Diving Hard Lures' started by {name}, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Pollock

Em, does anyone else seem to get the Bass taking the feed shallow way down their throat?
    I want to be very much in the C&R bracket,
    now i have ony had 8 fish on it, but i am seeing a trend? they obviously WANT it...
    so ....any ideas?
    i removed the middle treble, if i put that back on and remove the bottom?
    thoughts? :|

2. Salmon

Not from experience, just a guess but I've had though that removing the bottom treble would have a big effect on the action. WHat about trying a single on the end as a compromise?

3. Pollock

ya maybe.... i should give it more time too i guess..... could be a fluke??
    cheers..

4. Salmon

Possibly...or maybe you're just a darn fine fisherman who works his plug in such a way that he's the pied plugger of bassdome!

5. Pollock

Aw shucks.............................

6. Salmon

Don't worry, it won't last!!! :lol:

7. Pollock

ya... i know... but really folks..... anyone else not happy?
    Yip.... its just me!

8. Salmon

You've probably just been unlucky with that fish Richard. There's plenty of photo's on here where the fish have really mullered a lure but very few that haven't been released. Whats great is that you really do care about the fish so nice one.

9. Pollock

well ....it seems the Bass do really dig the feed shallow..(in mullet 128) and it is worth the money... but i will continue the research as regards C&R...........not sure yet....

10. Snapper

Richard, I recently tried removing the middle treble on all my sub-surface lures. The Zonks for example were fine, but the action was ruined on the Feed Shallow. However, these were not the hooks that come fitted on the lure when you buy it (the flimsy Owner ST-46's, the same hooks fitted on most Japanese lures) as I had switched to stronger trebles. You could give it a try but the Feed Shallow seems to be a sensitive so and so. It is probably possible to tune it by trying different sized trebles or adding weight, I'm no expert on these matters.

Regardless, I have since switched to single hooks (Decoy Single Pluggin Hooks) in an effort to cause less damage to the fish and they seem fine, even on the Feed Shallow. They also seem very strong like the Decoy Trebles.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Throbbing Member

Richard

I have found the same issue with the Feed Shallow, Duo Terrif & a few other similar plugs with a just sub surface swimming action.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Pollock

out this morn... and did some moving the hooks about...the ones that came with it...worked fine....
    Image1499.jpg Image1500.jpg Image1498.jpg Image1497.jpg Image1496.jpg

more testing needed though...must check out the decoy hooks too....

13. Snapper

Grand job Richard, no stopping you! If you search under Decoy Singles in the lure section you should find some more info.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Salmon

Excellent work Richard! JUst goes to show that you don't really need all the trebles!

15. Pike

Has anyone played with replacing trebles with meaty singles, those game fishing hooks with the weird bend that 'always' gets em in the scissors (corner of mouth).. plus nipping the barbs off especially if Shirley deep throats it :shock: Ah I see Walter already suggested that one...and is doing it. Lesson learnt for me...READ the threads!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  16. Mullet (foul hooked)

Just amazing lure....Bought it a couple of days ago and it casts like a dream...!!