The Lure Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have dropped and lost a number of fish when using Feed Shallow lures. Some of the fish spat the lure when almost ready for netting/landing. The trebles are not shifting or bending out or anything like that. The fish were not being played hard when this occurred. Also, I've had a fish take these lures and then within a few seconds let them go. To counteract this during a take I've tried slowing the lure down, speeding it up, stopping the lure, lifting into fish, striking gently and hard, not striking at all and I'm still missing fish!!! I havn't experienced this kind of missing fish and dropping fish when using other lures...Simply put I am consistently missing fish and loosing fish on these lures and the more it happens, the more determined I've been to use them and try figure out why!!!:bangin:Has anyone else experienced this with Feed Shallows? (It's happening with the 128 model) Or am I doing something wrong? Or is it just 'bad luck?'

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Mark i use the 105 Feed Shallow mainly but i havent noticed this problem. I do drop the occasional fish but I cant say the Feed Shallow has featured any more than any other lure with this. I would suggest changing the trebles as you wont have confidence in the existing ones and confidence is everything!

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Oh and welcome to the forum!!!

I also crush the barbs on all my lures so I will drop fish but I accept this for the ease of unhooking and returning them.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Never had this problem with the 128mm Feed Shallow, in fact it has been a real blank saver for me.
Check the hooks are really sharp-try dragging the point across your thumb nail. It should "stick" rather than slide.
But it could well be just bad luck, I had a run of dropped takes on one of my others lures-sharpen the points-haven't dropped one since. Might be a change of luck, but sticky sharp points never hurt your chances.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback lads, much appreciated... I was going to say to Andrew there that maybe there's a difference between the 128 and 105 model because of the length and size difference of the lures and the fact that the 105 has two trebles compared to three on the 128, but Dave's point is fair too... The hooks are sharp, I actually have one of those pen shaped pocket sharpeners for sharpening while 'on the job!' A friend was telling me this evening that he read something on the internet a while back regarding hooks on the Feed Shallows but that was about hooks bending out. That hasn't happened to me, thankfully! I will definitely run with a change of hooks anyway just to be sure. Maybe a few more members will give a bit of feedback too, just to get a couple of different viewpoints. . .

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Mark H,
I rehooked a couple of Feed Shallow+ with Decoy hooks from MrFish-Nice strong hook, with out noticing any change of depth or action (took his advice on hook size)
But my standard Feed Shallows all still armed with Owner ST-46.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again lads! Will talk to Mr.Fish regarding some of those Decoy hooks, no harm in trying! Maybe it is bad luck, I do have a grey cloud that follows me about at times!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
I change the trebles on my feed shallows to the owners i got from Mr Fish at the start of the year you wont have any problems then, i lost loads of fish on them last year aswell,but this year hook ups are spot on.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts