The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very interested to know what our bass eat - For the simple reason that the more we know about our bass's diet, the more accurately we can choose the lures we use to catch them.
Now I know we will often have no idea what they have been eating, but occassionally bass will cough up a food item or two. Also when we keep a bass to eat, then there is a chance to have a look in their stomach.
What I am asking is that in either of the above cases, Please let me know roughly where the bass was caught eg Cornwall, Wales etc and what was the food items were observed, or if you have the time, a photo (which allows me to try and get really good identification).
I am going to keep track of this over the next year or so, and hopefully get more of an idea as to what prey items are common, in what areas and when. It could prove useful to know that in wales in june the bass are often feeding on gobies (for example) then you might decide to target areas rich in gobies, with a lure that looks like a goby.

How successful this is really depends on how much data we can gather, either post it on this thread, or if you prefer PM it to me, I will try and keep everyone updated as to the whats and where.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Ok, i'll make a start. I've only taken one fish for the table this year, so have limited data. But last year, i took a couple of my early fish in April, and they had juvenile flatties in them. This was on a Storm Beach in South Wales (Gower to be more precise).

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Si,
Will log all the info I get and see if any patterns appear.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Caught a Bass around the 5ib mark last month on the Menai Straits with a Shad on a Kelp bed unfortunately the fish got gilled so I took it home to eat in it,s stomach were 3 Shore Crabs ,1 Velvet Swimmer and a Herring.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Ive lost two fish in two years on the release so they came home with me,both full of crab and sandeel.Crab were small hardback,,{dave not sure if youve read the food tables in hooked on bass but they to are interesting.Look forward on reading your results,
cheers daz

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys keep them coming,
Only prey items I have observed locally until this year are small hardbacks and Sandeels around 5" in length.
However this year the couple that have kept have had fry of at least three different species, and small wrasse and mullet.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I have only taken two to eat this year, both from Sussex but I noticed that the one that came from an estuary had a hard backed shore crab in it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
the one i kept this yr from kimmeridge in dorset had a belly full of iditoea (might be spelt incorrectly) - little sea woodlice thingies...

check out mike ladles online blog - http://www.mikeladle.com/archive/index.html

drop him an email - he's usually more that happy to help out with info like this. I've found him to be really helpful when i was starting our giving confidence and useful tips/ pointers.

he ought to be in the lure forum hall of fame..... if there was one... perhaps there should be one...

·
Registered
364 Posts
oh yeah - i'm sure there aren't many on here who haven't read it but mike ladles hooked on bass is worth a read for this kind of info...

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Richard,
I have been a long time follower of Mike Ladels Blog, and been lucky enough to hear him speak both this and last year at the Weymouth Lure Competition.
He thinks the same way as I do-Find out all you can about your target, then try and use that knowledge. His information on the Kimmeridge area is nothing short of excellent, I doubt that many marine biologists would know as much as he does about that ecosystem.
But our coastline varys so much, as does the prey species that are present. So that is behind the idea that all of members that can (or want to) contribte, will hopefully in the long run get some information back that they can use locally.
An example is I know that this autumn small wrasse have been a locally important species of bait-three bass have coughed them up-alive in one case (both the bass and the wrasse were returned), but is this targetting of wrasse something that happens only in sussex?? or the south east??? or nationally??
At this point the more data we can get the better, in time as the amount of data builds, then we might be able to look to other groups/indivuals to expand that information further.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Hi Dave keep a 3lber last week from a rock mark in Cornwall it had two large launce in its stomach. Both where about 9 inches in length

·
Banned
891 Posts
Sussex reefs not too long ago, some of the schoolies I took had 4" sandeels in their throat/mouth.... 20/10/10

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cool guys Keep them coming, and thank you to those that have posted so far.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Only taken a brace for the pot this year, both around 2-3lb and both from an estuary mark in Morecambe Bay. One was stuffed full of shrimp and the other was pretty much empty (perhaps eating easily digestable blow lug?)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ive taken 2 home this year around 2 1/2lb, from a South Devon estuary, one had a stomach full of softies, the other small hardbacks and blenneys.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts