The Lure Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a nice suprise the other weekend when me mother announced she wanted to take the family on holiday to Ireland for a week. Without blinking I said I would fancy somewhere down in the south east.

She just emailed me the other day to say she's booked a nice little cottage in Fethard on sea for us from the 2nd of October to the 9th. I've had a look around on google maps and the area look flipping amazing. I've managed to find a few bits and pieces on the net but was wondering if any of you guys have any experience of the area.

I'll have the car so I will be mobile, but as it's a family holiday I will only get a few chances to nick off on me own to fish when my missus says its OK and then it will only be for a few hours at a time. I'm also going to try and book up with Jim Henricks for a days guiding.

I've had a look and there seems to be a decent estuary just north of where we are staying. Looks pretty big and was wondering not only if anyone knows of a certain area to fish it but also anything to note safety wise. I don't want to get stranded by a fast tide or end up in quicksand.

I've also earmarked a couple of places to the west of the peninsula that look like decent rock marks on the end of sandy patches. It's hard to tell though from google if the cliffs there are accessible and if you can move about on the rocks easily enough when the tide pushes.

Pretty flipping exited about this, should be a right laugh.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en...2061,-6.822252&spn=0.017784,0.038409&t=h&z=15

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Pete, you lucky sod...
Fethard harbour !!!!! Dropping tide walk around the rocks at the back of the harbour, follow the coast around , cracking little coves , went two years back loads of Bass .
Oh by the way this is one of mr hills seceret marks , Henry knows this place well :muttley:

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha. Thanks Bob. I'm pretty sure the cottage is on the little road about a 100 yds from the harbour so that sounds perfect for little two hour sessions when I can sneak out. Do you know if you can get cut off at the bottom of those cliffs. Guessing off google it looks like they are not to big to scramble up if needs be.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Ha. Thanks Bob. I'm pretty sure the cottage is on the little road about a 100 yds from the harbour so that sounds perfect for little two hour sessions when I can sneak out. Do you know if you can get cut off at the bottom of those cliffs. Guessing off google it looks like they are not to big to scramble up if needs be.
Pete.
Yes you can get cut off , we did the dropping tides , then stayed till the next tide .
But you can do the cliffs they are about 40ft high just awkward , you can walk up a path from the pier along the top of the cliffs..
a stake and a small rope sorts that out!!! was told that stakes, had been put in place ???

·
Registered
716 Posts
Never been there in my life !!!!! (cue nose growing rapidly).

Perhaps my most favourite area on this earth, love it with a serious passion - it's entirely to Graham's credit because he put me on to this part of the world. If I had a pot my money sitting in the back then I would buy a house around Fethard tomorrow.

You've got some nice tides - if you get half decent conditions it could be really good.

One thing - a lot of the rock marks around there fish best on the back tide.........

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Never been there in my life !!!!! (cue nose growing rapidly).

Perhaps my most favourite area on this earth, love it with a serious passion - it's entirely to Graham's credit because he put me on to this part of the world. If I had a pot my money sitting in the back then I would buy a house around Fethard tomorrow.

You've got some nice tides - if you get half decent conditions it could be really good.

One thing - a lot of the rock marks around there fish best on the back tide.........
Yeah, I'm a bit cautious fishing new places anyway so was thinking of fishing the tide down mostly, just wanted to know in case.

The tides look good and theres a new moon during the week so should be good. As I said before the area looks excellent as no matter which way the conditions are facing there should always be somewhere to shelter if it's too bad.

Thanks both of you.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Pete you arte indeed a lucky man, myself and Bob went there as a guest of Gee and although I did my normal of not catching much I did see Bob and another mate of ours Trev catch some beauties. The said small cliffs of Fetard is where Bob and I wouldnt climb down without a rope, I was gutted as Henry, Gee and Trev all started catching fish as we looked on. Defo take a 30ft peice of rope and a stake or something to drive in, it will make your life alot easier as youy can then get there at high tide and climb down, save you going round from the pier houirs before it gets cut off. I agree with Henry that I hold my hand on my heart and say what a great mark Trevor Sangan found that day ha ha ha, Graham nicked it off him. I am omly joking, hats off to Gee for the work he did in that area sussing out all thse coves and estuaries. The banno esturary is the small one east of Fetard,thats bass alley, gain driopping tide and wade to exposed bars, be careful and leave very soon after low.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers ****. I'm going to be fishing by myself when I go so won't be taking any risks. Will probably just follow the rocks round when the tide drops rather than trying mountaineering on my todd.

It all sounds rather good.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Pete,
As Henry knows only too well you've picked a cracking place both the estuary and the rock fronts can fish really well. So even in the worst of weather you'll have plenty to go at. I think Graham is back working in England but I can certainly recommend Patrick he was just great with us, even though he did manage to get caught by the Garda for using his phone while driving when we called him for a chat and to pick up a few lures.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Cheers Trev. I've booked a day with Jim Henricks but if I had the money I would definately book up with Pat too. Can't wait.
you wont be dissapointed Im sure - great place youre going (sooooo many good marks within an easy drive there - youll love it!)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts