FG knot | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

FG knot

Discussion in 'Lines' started by {name}, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Mackerel

Don't get me wrong, I love this knot, so thin and strong, but recently I have been trying to use longer 6ft leaders, which means the knot is going through the eyes on every cast. It goes out fine, but after 50 or so casts, it starts to come apart. Luckily on the two occasions this happened I spotted it and didn't loose any lures. I then changed to the standard 3-4ft leader and didn't have any problems. Sometimes I like to use a longer leader, so how should I combat this? Superglue? Thanks.

2. Blenny

Lewis.

I personally use long leaders 6ft plus with the FG knot pretty much all the time and never have a knot coming apart. I don't know how many casts I make a session but probably well over a hundred and will replace the leader every couple of sessions depending on the ground I fished it over. From the boat it's mostly open water so can be a good number of sessions and many casts and the knot lasts very well.

The way i finish the knot, after cutting the leader tag end off I will take the braid tag end and do 10 - 15 half hitches up the braid, this creates a nice taper effect and I also alternating the direction of the half hitches and on the last hitch i will go through the loop twice to lock it down. I also keep a small 2mm tag end on the braid. As long as the knot is tight the overall length of the knot is very small.

Never had the need to use glue to secure the knot. That's how I do it and I am sure different fluorocarbons and braids will bite differently so other variables might be at play?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Pollock

Never had this problem and use a 8 to 10ft leader with the fc knot. Are you adding half hitches above the knot up the braid. I tie 4 half hitches over the fluro then another 4 up the braid after Ive trimmed the fluro tag end. This protects the knot coming back through the rings.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

4. Mackerel

I only usually do 2 half hitches on the fluro then 3 on the braid, I will try using more, thanks.

5. Striper

I also run a very log leader with any issues. Normally I use 6 half hitches around both leader and line, then another 6 on the line itself. Very important to alternate which way round you do the half hitches.

If this doesn't work plan b is a uni knot to finish it off. I have seen some South Africans finish with a Rizutto knot which looks impressive. I've not been able to tie it yet......

• Like Like x 1
  6. Guest

Depending on the diameter of braid (.08/.1mm) I tie 15/20 half hitches followed by two doubled half hitches . That travels through the guide on a baitcaster before the guides without any issues .

7. Mackerel

Would this be 15/20 around both the fluro and braid, then two double half hitches around just the braid Graham? Thanks

8. Guest

Yes but you can get away with less on both ,but with thin braid its still a small knot even with a lot of turns .The first 4 of hitches is on the tag pulled tight .
    I am fussy and if its not neat looking I will re tie and test .

9. Minnow

This has definitely never happened for me. I don't want to be the fishing equivalent of the tech support guy who says "have you tried turning it off and on again?" but just want to make sure you're alternating the direction on your half-hitches? Assuming thats not the issue, it's worth carrying the half hitches down onto the main line after you've covered the tag end of the leader.

Out of interest, what line class are we talking here? I use the FG for everything from perch fishing to dogtooth and GT, but I don't tend to use long leaders for the very light work as often. But for shore GT work and PE3 shore casting my leader's super long because coral...

10. Mackerel

Alternating the half hitches is not actually something I have been doing.... I'm using 1.2pe braid to 20lb fluro

11. Minnow

Ah, well it may well be that then. It's an integral part of the knot.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mackerel