The Lure Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys its been a long hard winter, every effort to get out has been hindered with one thing or another like you wouldnt believe. Monday morning though jumping on the chance to drive a workmate to her exam in Swansea I was set. Mr Si Lewisman gave me a good place to try so I headed over to a lovely little bay getting there for about 9.30am and greeted by bright sunshine and a cold wind.

I set off as more of a recce first and walked the coastal path to the next bay along and then worked my way back climbing down where I felt it would be safe to as I was on my own. There were some really good looking spots on the way back that I tried but alas not a sign of a fish.

First lure of the year tried the Holo Silver feed shallow, only caught on that colour once last year but thought it might go well with the bright daylight. Ended up trying several others and dare I say it ledgered with some Rag for a bit but not even a sniff off a crab:-(

I did bump into a guy who regularly fishes this stretch and he gave me some good info if I should visit again but need to have a look at low water to find the markers he was talking about. He said later in the year does well for bass and the odd bream on silver tobys.

All in all so nice to finally get out for some sea air and get a couple more prospective marks.

Got home and felt knackered after a morning in the sea air but was looking forward to the next day when I met up with our Welsh Guru Iestyn for my first ever attempt at fly casting.

A big thanks to Iestyn for his patience as he endured 4 hours of instructing me on the river in Brecon. I learnt loads off him but need loads of practice (which I have just got in from doing, single spey going well but still struggling with shooting the line out :-D)

As well as the basic casting Iestyn took me to different features on the river and showed me how he would approach them, how to put mends in the line and other bits and pieces. So a big thanks again and looking forward to another session if your up to it:mrgreen:.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Nice report & pics Andy, and some lovely Shirley-looking ground !!! They'll be there soon !!

The casting lessons sound interesting too - i learnt a lot from Piking with Iestyn over the past few weeks - a real gent !!!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He certainly is and the patience he has is well impressive, if he can put up with me for 4 hours then non biting fish are a piece of **** 8)

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Good to get out and get some salt air in your lungs though Andy? I need some fly-casting practice too....

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Glad to you managed to get out Andy- been a long winter hasn't it.
Better luck bass wise next time.
See you soon

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice venue and well done for getting out.
Ragworm? are you sure!
I know the embarrasment lol, picked up £3 worth as I drove past the tackle shop, come to think of it £2.75 must be still rotting in my roof box, DoH!
Interesting to drop a little 2 hook flapper down and see if theres any interest on the deeper spots, but nothing was showing at all.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Hi Andy glad you enjoyed the day its not easy casting solidly for 4hrs and having to get to grips with several casting techniques!!! I have instructed many people who like you have never held a fly rod let alone cast with one so fair play I was very impressed with how quickly you got to grips with it. Very pleased to hear you have been out practising ill travel up to the wye for our next session as ive fished your local stretch a fair bit so we will cover the casting done so far, mix it up with some advanced styles, cover watercraft, flies approach etc and hopefully bank a few browns at the same time. thoroughly enjoyed the day cant wait to get out on the wye with you. Keep up the casting and you will master it in no time I have no doubt about that.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers Iestyn you are being very generous but I had a great time, let me know if any dates suit you, I have pm'd you a couple but can work around some weekday sessions with notice. Good job I didnt have a fly on the end today though, god knows how many times I would have caught myself in the back of the head with the gusty wind combined with my novice antics, bet it looked very funny to passers by:-D

·
Registered
207 Posts
That gulley ;) fishes at all stages of tide !! In a month or so a crab or lure cast into the area will be deadly. Watch out with the lures though, a low tide look first is essential as when it's covered with water it's still very shallow on either side of the fish holding feature.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts