The Lure Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

Well it had to happen sooner or later, if you chuck enough SPs in the sea eventually something is going to bite a few of them. Can you tell that I have had a few blanks lately ;-).

Well after dinner I went out for a late night session. Started off at what was my favorite spot but nothing doing not a bite.
I then went in off the back wall with a 3" Sluggo on a 3g Jighead and a size 2 hook. Hit unable to hook up, second cast hit no hook up.

So I knew they liked the sp but the size 2 was only 1/4 of the way down the body. So I took out 7.5g searcher Jighead and a size 1/0 hook put another of the same sluggos on that.

I can't remember now exactly but within 3 casts it was fish on.

I landed the below 4. Lost another 2 playing with drag. Was using a light rod so did not want to put to big a bend in it but I think I let the drag off too much so lost 2 which I was sure where hooked. Aside from that I must have had another 15 hits all on the same SP. Every time just when I thought they were gone it was another fish or good bite. What fantastic fun. I was lucky I could get quite close to the water and just hoik them out by the line not sure the rod would have fancied lifting these guys. This was brilliant sport.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Waheeey! Good work Jeremy!!

Looks like you dropped in on a nice little shoal. All very similar size wise. Can only imagine how much fun that must have been! Excellent!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Well done, jeremy - looks like a lot of fun! What rod were you using?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well done, jeremy - looks like a lot of fun! What rod were you using?
Firefly Angling Ultralight Spin 180 Spinning Rod rated 3-12g I was casting with a bit of a tail wind and with the 7.5g Jighead it was going a mile, even with the 3g it was getting out plenty far enough.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Lovely stuff mate! I am on the back of two blanks in a row. Worst run since I have started! Hope to rectify asap, so hopefully your catch was an omen that they are feeding harder again.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Firefly Angling Ultralight Spin 180 Spinning Rod rated 3-12g I was casting with a bit of a tail wind and with the 7.5g Jighead it was going a mile, even with the 3g it was getting out plenty far enough.
Well done Jeremy - you're the first to catch on the Firefly! How did it handle the fish? Hope to try mine again this weekend, weather permitting. I know Nursi (Tim) bust his, but has a spare tip luckily. Well done again - must have been a hoot.

·
Registered
324 Posts
nice one, hopefully a good sign. things really have to get better.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Well done Jeremy - you're the first to catch on the Firefly! How did it handle the fish? Hope to try mine again this weekend, weather permitting. I know Nursi (Tim) bust his, but has a spare tip luckily. Well done again - must have been a hoot.
Firstly I was playing the fish in gently so as to not over stress the rod.
I have always used over powered rods so fiddling with the rear drag resulted in me losing 2 fish for sure. I think I slacked it off to much and so they could get off not to sure any advice on drag use would be good.

When a few of the hooked ones took a dive as they got close in the rod got a good bend and the drag screamed. It was great fun I probably played the fish more than strictly necessary but I did not want to try get them out with to much energy left oh and it was fun. I did lift them all out the water by just grabbing the line by hand. My only wish is that they would hook themselves further out ;-) The third one did but made absolutely no attempt to get away I thought it was a tiny one until it got in close then decided to take a few dives which was fun.

The only comment from a very inexperienced angler is that the tip is very very soft so setting the hook can be a bit tricky if you have already given the rod a draw back. But I don't really know what I am talking about. I was giving a good draw then waiting and on occassions when I got a hit I was not able to make a firm enough strike. Again at only 6ft this may be a contributing factor.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
JT said:
So I knew they liked the sp but the size 2 was only 1/4 of the way down the body. So I took out 7.5g searcher Jighead and a size 1/0 hook put another of the same sluggos on that.
I have a modified system based upon the Japanese flying stinger which, hopefully, will help with tail nips when the lure size needed is larger than the available hook/jighead size.
Just needs a little more testing. Braid based though, not mono.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
...any advice on drag use would be good...
Million dollar (or should that be Yen?) question. The only thing is to find a style that suits you. Some people like a light drag and applying extra pressure to the spool, others like a locked down drag and "horse" it in.

So far for ULF (OK Keith my tuna gear) I am adopting the former as I think it will be more flexible. Also keeping a very "loose" rod arm to allow extra cushioning when that monster latches on...soon.

Great stuff.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
So far for ULF (OK Keith my tuna gear) I am adopting the former as I think it will be more flexible. Also keeping a very "loose" rod arm to allow extra cushioning when that monster latches on...soon.
I would agree with that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts