The Lure Forums banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

· Registered
4,137 Posts
Just occurred to me that their colour is close to ayu. Hmmmmmm. There are also Tide Minnows and Jackson Athletes in a similar colour, albeit we are told bass see in B&W, so make that the same "tones".

Happy New Year all!

· Registered
932 Posts
plugs said:
Bassorama said:
FishingGuernsey said:
Here we go.

Found a proper picture. This one is a sand smelt which is one of the mini species we call Roselet or Grasdos.
Brilliant, thanks FG. Appreciate that. How hard it is it to find pics of our baitfish by the way!!!?

And thanks to you too Jim. But what are those baitfish actually called on probassfisher???
Sandeel:

:clap: Excellent Mike and St Ouen in quite right, ayu is the best colour to imitate. In fact we call it "ayu" in colour but ayu isn't a colour is it? I thought Ayu is a Japanese fish anglers love to catch and eat if memory serves correct.

· Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Cheers Adam,
If you find anything that helps you find the bass, please add it to this thread when you get a chance.
Tight lines

· Registered
62 Posts
It maybe worth mentioning shoals of mullet, if you find them there are always bass near or in amongst them. Whether it be a harbour or the open sea.

Also if you know a spot where the bait diggers dig their worms, always worth fishing. One of the marks i fish is a pretty featureless beach and it throws up some good bass the only thing to note on the beach is the amount of blow lug casts.

· Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Spot on Mike,
I have found bass in the past by casting near shoals of mullet.
Will definately try using the Lug beds idea on a couple of local beaches, makes good sense to me.
Thanks for taking the time to contribute.

Reactions: Paul Mouat

· Registered
1,840 Posts
Fantastic thread all and a big thanks to Dave for starting it :clap:.

· Banned
138 Posts
Jumping prawns.... I'm serious. Needs to be flat calm, but when it is, you will see what I mean..... When they go "skip, skip, skip, skip" across the surface. It isnt because they LIKE jumping across the sea's surface........ :)

· Registered
2,605 Posts
add tuppence seen gullies been posted already, top mark is just submerged gully that runs parralell to the shore with waves smashing over it, inside it and behind it especially the white water.

better bass around when mackerel are around. some years out the eddystone they dont touch launce only a mack will do.

where 2 currents merge on the ebb can see the foam flotsam flowing and meeting and the currents meet and eddy, the ****** foam shows the flows. also under bigger bits of foam when its calmer and hot for seatrout. end of gullies going out to see on the ebb into the tide.

deep big estuaries start of the ebb as all the crap goes out they sit facing the flow, some massive bass in there.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.