The Lure Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my fist Bassing session yesterday using Xlayers and to tell you the truth it was bit of a learning curve,some of the more experienced SP Anglers might be able to elaborate a bit on what I was finding while using the Xlayers.

I made a point of not taking my hard bait lures as there is always the temptation of using them if not all is going well and then not finding out how to use the SP,s properly.

The mark I was fishing is a reef that has always produced in the past using hard baits so I thought this would be a great place to start learning how to use the Xlayers.

I anchored the boat about 25 yards up tide of the reef and was in about 14-16ft of water with a flooding tide running, started using a 6 inch Auyo colured Xlayer with a 20 grm lead head and casted it directly down tide behind the boat towards the reef using a sink and draw method with pauses and twitches as the lure touched bottom and trying to get it to work through the water Colum, after about 20 minuets or so I saw this method was a bit futile so I adopted a different method, I started to cast across the tide at a 45 degree angle and let it drop and come around on it’s own by allowing the tide to push it to the back of the boat but I found the lead head was to heavy for this lark so I swapped over to a 10 grm and started to cast out again across the tide and let it drop and swing arround,all of a sudden I saw the line momentarily stop in mid water and wound the slack quickly and felt the tug of a Bass but missed the bite on the way down on the drop after the lure hit water with this in mind I started to control the drop of the lure as it hit water by using my finger to slow the line coming off the spool all of a sudden “Bang” my rod buckled over and I was into a Bass the take was very vicious and caught me off guard big time .I repeated this method again “Bang” another fish then another , in all I caught 6 fish between 3-5ib in weight before they got spooked , just as it happened I was down to my last couple of Xlayer as these Bass destroy these SP,s.

What was interesting was that the fish all came on the drop as working the Xlayer had little or no effect but this was my first session with them so there’s still a lot to learn but I am intrigued why they were so effective on the drop maybe some of the forum members can give some input.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Cracking write-up Gary !! I enojyed reading that !! I'll leave it to the experts to go into some detail about techniques (although i suspect that a cast 'up-tide' may be the better tactic than down - & is perhaps part of the reason that you did a little better when you changed angle :?:).

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Well done Gary.........nice piece of thinking to work out the best method of presentation....

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I've written loads and loads on OTD Bass fishing on my blog.

I'm going out right now but I'll dig out some relevant links to which articles when I get home.
Good report and echo's much of what is found as you progress with soft lures when you actually start to 'fish' them.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Great report Gary. I'm no boat expert but, from the shore, I usually find it much better to cast up-tide and let the SP run down to the fish. Must be the same on a boat?

·
Registered
519 Posts
it's not just O.T.D when less is more, we've said more than enough times, bait fish aren't always zipping around at breakneck speeds and jumping around like a bunch of flea's, most of the time you'll catch more and bigger fish by doing less or absolutely nothing.

kev

·
Registered
498 Posts
well said kev, ive sussed it now after watching you that sun when henry was over and you were banging the pollock out by doing nothing, last week out with a mate he's doing the slow retrieve, im doing nothing but "go with the flow" 9-1to me me before we moved and a couple of decent sized pollock,

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the comments and info,

I believe Kevin hit the nail on the head when he mentioned that doing less is better, maybe having a controlled drop and letting the lure look more natural in the tide is the key rather than using a traditional movements that seem quite alien to the fish.

·
Registered
519 Posts
well said kev, ive sussed it now after watching you that sun when henry was over and you were banging the pollock out by doing nothing, last week out with a mate he's doing the slow retrieve, im doing nothing but "go with the flow" 9-1to me me before we moved and a couple of decent sized pollock,
well done mate, looks like you've learn't, the more you get use to the method the more and bigger fish you'll start to catch.

all the best

kev

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
great stuff gary,might have to try bringing my boat over to the straights !!! only got a 6hp engine though and those swellies look a bit quick to me, dont have xslayers but wonder if slug go or similar which i have plenty of would work? i know that the xslayers have a rattle and wonder if thats why they work so well?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Again, like we've said countless times.

There is no difference between these lures (if equal weight and profile etc) until a fish inhales or takes the lure into it's mouth.
This is where LRF and HRF score heavily over other lure fishing methods because, done correctly, you FEEL this happen and react accordingly.

You can catch Bass with a bit of carrier bag on a jig head if you are fast enough.

Scents, softness etc only matter in that they give you more time before a fish rejects the lure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great bit of reading gary ,i fish with the xlayers to and ithink they are brillant , where i fish the tide to is running and i use a 7gram or depends on the tide ,i cast the same and let go with the tide and dont even lift , i have caught great bass on them

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great bit of reading gary ,i fish with the xlayers to and ithink they are brillant , where i fish the tide to is running and i use a 7gram or depends on the tide ,i cast the same and let go with the tide and dont even lift , i have caught great bass on them
It,s amazing when you do catch with these Xlayers when you consider so little effort goes into working them,I will have to get some 7grm lead heads and some lighter ones for changes in the tide strengths,looking forward to experimenting with other types of SP,s.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts