The Lure Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am getting up to speed and learing the tying trade - I really enjoy tying as an extension of my fly fishing and catching on something I have created is a buzz!

Been using some spare dyed hackle feathers that Andy included in an order a while back whilst I wait on some more - took the plunge and bought a load of different bucktails and a Whiting Farms White saddle - which is OK but a few dodgy feathers in there - but hey I am not a perfectionist!

After I had a lesson from Chris Reeves, following Andy's SBS and picking up a book by Joe Coidero (sp?) I can knock a flatwing together fairly easy (following my own hand made notes!!!). Following Andy's mantra - "It's all in the blend!"

Few pictures of what I have knocked together and my dining room tying area!!

Multi coloured mix;

Couple of Sandeel blends;

6 on the left and 2 far right are Andy's rest are my own Mackeral blend and Pink ummm blend;

Small dining room table:/ ;

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
they are looking fine.

Photo 1 is too much material for my personal tastes as I like to see through a fly when wet and submerged.

But, I'm being picky because I know you will take that comment constructively.
Pretty damn good stuff Alex.

Andy had better watch his back LOL.

Who is supplying you your Jungle Cock ?
Grade ?

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bought a small 50 dyed feather lot from eBay - not bad quality but enough to get me off the ground for £6.50. Looking to buy a proper JC cape for around £60 odd which will do alot of flies ... again from an eBay supplier but they grade and photo each cape individually so at least you know what you are buying. Just need to find some proper salmon tying grade peacock herl as the stuff I have is too short for my liking - its surprising how you start looking carefully at what you are tying with!

I wanted to bulk up the multi-coloured one as all my others are very sparse - should have taken a photo of them wet after setting as they are still pretty skinny!
I know there are alot of Mackeral where I am going so trying to match and come up with a few bigger profile flies on 5/0 AKI hooks - got a handful so will see how it goes!

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Those flies are looking great Alex, fine effort :-D

·
Registered
156 Posts
Thats realy good fly tying Alex, in my opinion there is no such thing is an overdressed fly, infact if tied properly, the action of the fly will be fantastic, and very alluring for the fish.
I have tied flies for years and not that have much experience in bass flies, i have with brown trout, sewin and salmon flies.
I would be very happy to buy the flies you have made and would be very confident catching bass with them.
Keep up the good work Alex

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Very sexy Alex...what hooks are you using?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts