The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well big spring tides and Derek Buesnel and I thought we might get a few but the trip started disappointing with two 3lb fish being taken on a redgill and black shad.

We moved onto deeper water where there was a fast current flowing between some rocks. Derek cast out with the famous black shad and bang hsi line took off, luckily his van staal behaved perfectly as line was stripped from his reel.The fish was quick to come to the surface and we could see it was a decent fish. Eventually being netted by an expert skipper. The fish was measured on the Bass tape and my boga grips it came back just over the magical 10lb mark.

The fish was returned back into the water to fight another day. Excuse the photographs but they have been edited to hide the exact location

The fish safely in the net

The first time I have seen Derek smile

We had 2 further fish just under 3lbs

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Wow !!!! What a fish !!!! You guys are having an amazing week :clap: :clap: . . . delighted, and green with envy, all at the same time :mrgreen:.

btw - just out of interest, how long was she :?:

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Simon nice to see Derek have a double at last it is down to my advice and instruction and that black shad he is catching all the big fish on

Simon I think the fish was either 78 or 80 cm Derek measured it so I am not sure

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Well Done Derek & errrr Alan

Behind every great Angler is a great tutor Alan ;-)

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Cracking fish!

Just out of interest did you cast the Pilchards up tide and bounce them down tide or did you just cast and slow retrieve ?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just cast towards the reef and a very slow retrieve we have found it does not matter up stream or down as wind permitting we fish both sides of a reef

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Thanks for that Alan,

Had a go my self yesterday evening with some 3" GT Shads and 10grm heads,I was at anchor casting them across the tide and bouncing the back towards the stern in a shallow gully,I did catch 4 Bass, these Shads do winkle out the better fish.

·
Registered
340 Posts
well done to Derek on a good fish

looks like you 2 are having a great week.

Im sure you too passed me on a rock yesterday morning (ssshh if u remeber) , and seen you later in the afternoon when was wading off the SE.

I look forward to my double day!

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Thanks Nigel I have had a number of double figures so I am not bothered honestly
Alan

I know that you have had a few doubles & I know that you would be genuinely happy for your good friend Derek to land that fish. So hat's off to you both.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Great fish that :p Well done on the guiding Alan :wink:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts