The Lure Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out today for a quick fish after work as the sun was shining. The water was dead flat and crystal clear.I proceeded to go through my usual routine of working my way through the usual suspects in my lure box with no results.

I thought that I might as well have a bash with a little Hazedong lure Callum R (dumbass) gave me a while ago. I have read on here about the Burn & Kill retrieve and Callum has showed me a couple of times how he uses it but I never really understood it. I’ve tried this technique a fair bit but never known if I was doing it right.

I casted out not very far, raised my rod upwards so that I could see when the lure had reached the bottom. Once it had I waited a while and the lifted the rod twice, so the lure lifted of the bottom in two stages. I then reeled in the slack and repeated.

During one retrieve when the lure was close to where I was fishing from (nearly directly below me), I felt a tap. At first I thought it was just the lure bumping in to a rock as I pulled it up. But then there was another knock and a pull!! FISH ON!! But not for long..........the fish managed to get free almost straight away!!

I continued to fish the same spot in exactly the same way. After a few more retrieves and a slight twitch in the lure there was a much more aggressive take! This time fortunately the fish stayed on and I caught this little beauty.

He measured 34cm. Not massive, but my first ever fish taken on a soft lure and using this method of fishing. I was made up! I fished around that area for a bit longer until deciding to head back. On my way back to my car I saw another set of rocks which looked like a good shout so I decided to have a few casts off it.

First cast and I waited for the lure to sink trying to feel the bump of the jighead on the floor through my line. About 30 seconds after the lure hit the bottom I felt a slight tap, so I gave the lure a small twitch upwards.....then another tap. So I gave the lure a bigger pull upwards, then BANG!! The lure was hit with an awesome take!

The fish immediately headed for cover but I managed to steer it out from around rocks to open water. The fish put a decent bend in my Quantum 240 and was putting up a great fight. I was winning the battle in bringing the fish in when it just hit another gear! Diving for cover again which sent my reel screaming. I brought it to the surface and noticed how much bigger it was than the first.

This one measured 50cm and was a real tank! Had a massive belly (female carrying eggs?). Unfortunately the scales I had are a piece of crap so didn’t manage to get a weight.
That rounded off a great day fishing for me as the last fish munched my only hazedong :cry:.

I feel I have finally got the hang of fishing for Wrasse with softies. I will swiftly be heading to mrfish to buy a selection of softies (and a decent set of scales).

Sorry for the essay but If I can catch them then anyone can!!
Cheers
Jamie

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Callum mentioned your fish. That's a clonker. There'll be a few guys in the Piggy Bank wrasse challenge looking at that fish!

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Jamie,

That is a brilliant report and pic's, well done :-D

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Superb !, simply superb.

Really pleased these methods are helping people unlock this new lure species in earnest.
It is great isn't it.

Just how many Wrasse have been caught already this year on HRF ?
Mental really.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Fair Play 0n the big wrasse!

Make sure you get yourself in the challenge and can test the leader board a bit if you get anymore big uns!

I've had a couple of big ones hook up past 2 days just not manged to land them , I need to get some more big ones now can enter into challenge

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
"munching on my hazedong"??

alright mate its great to see you cracked it the 2nd fish is a monster 50cm is big! there are some beasts round where you were fishing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the comments Guys!! (sorry for the size of the photo, i did try to re-size it but obviously didnt work)

Might enter the comp now (if its not too late?). Bad luck on the big ones Krash but im sure there is plenty more where they came from!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Great work jamie! 50cm has GOT to be a very good weight?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Thanks for the comments Guys!! (sorry for the size of the photo, i did try to re-size it but obviously didnt work)

Might enter the comp now (if its not too late?). Bad luck on the big ones Krash but im sure there is plenty more where they came from!
No, its not too late.
To be honest, I expected people to hesitate until they proved to themselves this was indeed possible.

Just let me know m8..
Obviously, only fish after entry count.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cheers Keith i'll let you know soon

i think it was a pretty good weight ben, was heavy to hold. Gutted I didnt have any good scales but they have now been added to the shopping list!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts