The Lure Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After catching countless bass on lures this year I taught I would bite the bullet and dust off the fly rod and chance landing a few on the fly.Took a while to get the hang of the swff methods but I persivered and got the hang of it and managed 2 small but lively fellows so happy days. Fly used was a olive/white sandeel pattern.Think ill invest in a decent swff outfit for next season.Maybe a bigger bass next time eh :-D

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Very nicely done,
Catching them on fly is addictive, but you will have a blast.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Well done Ger thats the buisness,getting a few on the lures as well happy days........

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the comments folks,

Yea andy not a bad place for the hounds had big numbers of them earlier in the year, tope are long gone sam...there all headed to kilcoole/newcastle for the winter :-D

Tight lines :-D

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Great stuff Ger! I have caught loads of trout but also managed my first bass on the fly rod this year. Lots of fun and I hope to do some more soon. Well done!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I caught my first ever Bass at the mouth of the River Ogmore in Wales in 2008. I had gone to fish the Ogmore specifically for Sea Trout. I was shown the Pools to fish on the River by one of the members...................... He also showed me the Sea Pool!

I fished there next day at the appointed time - last hour and 3 hours up -. After about 2 hours (ie one after low tide), I thought I had a swirl - maybe not. Then maybe a movement or two in the pool. Then a few rises about the place! Things were looking fishy.

I was fishing a WF8F with a leaded tadpole! White Chenille Body, Fluo Green Butt, and Marabou Tail. (Naivety, but a damn good choice - my go to rainbow lure.)

Anyhow long pull, wait, long pull, wait, long pull, wait, long pull, wait, long pull...............bang.

The end result was my first ever Bass.

Weighed about 4 hours later, at 7lbs 9oz.

But the truth is, is that it came in like a wet balnket, but so what.

I also caught a couple of Sea Trout in the River!

Anyhow; about £1,000 later, Lures and so on, the Jersey bass festival coming up ....the stay at the Shakespeare.....................

1 - 16 of 16 Posts