The Lure Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Wednesday night tootled over to Stamford to stay with my Dad and take him fishing on the Thursday. We haven't been on Rutland together for over a year.

Any way Thursday mornin 08.30 sees us pushing out the lures into a deep bay from the point a few hundred metres west of the Butterfly Centre and across from the the large point at Whitwell. I was using a brown Minky and my dad had tied on some black and green concoction. The weather was perfect, good breeze, nice ripple and some good cloud cover. Within an hour i'd hooked my first trout which I lost as I brought it to the bank. My fault. I tried to ease it over some very shallow water towards the landing net, it went ballisitic and shook out the hook. Half an hour later I did exactly the same thing. I was feeling a bit of a Charlie by this time.

A little while later my dad lost another at the net. The Barnetts were really showing the locals how it should be done :bangin: Things then went very quiet and I thought I had wasted the best chance of catching.

Kust afterr 2 o'clock there was a sharp tug on the line which a stopped retrieving and let sink for a count of three. As I began to retrieve again I had a double pull and was into a fish. The damn thing shot off like a rocket, down and out. My fly line was almost down to the backing when the fish hurtled out of the water 45 degrees off of the angle at which my line entered the water. I started to sweat a little but managed to get things back in a straight line. What a fight. It had three runs before I got it to the net. By that time my arm felt like it was about to fall off. On the bank I found that I had bagged a 3 1/2 lb Rainbow. An absolute beauty.

In the next 2 hours I had got three more on the bank all over 2lb on a brown Minky and in ther same fashion. A single tug, wait retrieve and wallop. An absolutely cracking days fishing and just what I needed. My ever patient old man was quite happy to sit on the bank and watch me show off (he's 84 and can only fish for a few hours aat a time).

Should be going back next month to see if some of the biggies are feeding in the shallows fattening themselves up for winter.

TTFN

Andy B

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Nicely done Andy,
Back end fry feeder take some beating fight wise.
Well done!!

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
:clap: Good man on getting the old boy out Andy, sounds like a worthwhile sesh for you both apart from the Murphy-esque fish-losing clangers! 3.5lb sounds pretty damn reasonable!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Nice one. Just one thing does anyone use coarse fishing nets for game fish. Makes sense to me as I find most if not all game nets the shaft of the handle is to short. Just a thought after seeing this post.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Well done Andy, I need to get more fly fishing done, haven't been nearly enough this last couple of months. I loves the trout, don't half pull your string :) tasty too

Dave M, only ever used snowbee nets which are extendable - a bit - but normally if I'm bank fishing I'll be in waders and often use a little orvis scoop net as it's easier to carry.

The Snowbee Telescopic/Folding Landing Nets are very good and pretty reasonable too, my trout one is still going strong after about 7 years and it's had a few decent double figure Salmon to cope with aswell :D
Knotless mesh and although I have a spare mesh I'm still on the original mesh net.

https://shop.snowbee.co.uk/shopretail/index.php?cPath=2_40_41&osCsid=gosl0hkpieuotmm3uv1o8lf3t6
Probably cheaper elsewhere though

1 - 6 of 6 Posts