The Lure Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nailed just over 50 Sepia today. All in daylight.

At first, it was a struggle but, the turn of the tide made it nearly 1 a chuck.
Average good size too.

2.5 - 3.0 sized Egi's favoured. Natural scad cloth and Pink over Gold tape, Scad cloth back.

I'd say the 2.5 made 70% of the catch.

Just a very few came to 3.5 and 4.0 sized egi's as the Sepia got skittish and I was reaching for something different.

A great morning's sport.
Learning loads.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Paul,
That's going to take a lot of garlic and chilli Keith.
I had exactly the same thought, lovely!!

Congrats Keith, That is a session that I would imagine would turn heads even in Japan. World class angling!!

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
That is one serious catch of sepia, keith do you keep them or just c&r !!! if so what is the chance of catching one twice ?? are they stupid enough to come back again
Are you suggesting Keith caught the same sepia 50 times LOL

·
Registered
277 Posts
Are you suggesting Keith caught the same sepia 50 times LOL
I was thinking I might have had that the other day, 3 in 3 casts all dropped off on the surface, the final cast managed to get him out and on the deck, after that nothing?!?!? They all grab the lure in the same spot, and I carried on in the same spot with nothing after I finally got him up the wall. I heard the other night that they can get used to the same Jig again and again so its an idea to change to a different Jig, anyone know is that Fact or Fiction?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I was continually moving taking cuttles from each location.

Things I noticed...

They light up bright green like they've swallowed a chemical light stick.
Netting them and releasing them in the net means they rarely ink. I'd suggest it reduces it by 50%

Sepia is latin for cuttlefish.

Funny you mention B&W photo's....

If you check out any top end photoshop type app, you'll see you can sepia tone images. The word comes from the Victorian practice of using cuttlefish ink to dye the images post processing.

Also, spaghetti lovers amongst you will learn that sepia ink is the main component in the colouring of said foodstuff at commercial quantities.

Yes, I do eat them, not 50, maybe I might take 3 or 4 from a session or none at all.
They are quite filling.

3/4 of the Jersey coastline seems invaded right now whilst other area's seem deviod.
How long will it last ?

Great question Sherlock but, this year, more so than in previous years, guys have been fishing small, soft lures along the bottom.
So, are there in fact, more this year, or, have we just discovered that they are in fact more of an issue re: fishing for other species than we previously realised ?

The Wrasse don't like em that's for sure and, whilst night diving I've seen 1 or 2 with small Red Mullet so is anything safe ?

Ika's are coming. Thin on the ground of any size right now but we are seeing them starting.

Eging is looking like it has a bright light for the end of 2010.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Well you did say it was about to take off Keith.............:shock::shock::shock:
And I did set you the challenge so have you managed to discovered the lure that makes them hold on until you net them???????? Shame we missed it I would have love to have tasted them......:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Well done mate.......:wink:

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
50 Cuttles is a mad session!

How would one approach cooking one of these beasts? Simple as possible methods if possible!

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Even I could manage that........:wink::wink:

·
Registered
340 Posts
well done keith thats a nice few - shame we didnt land up any the day before - what do you think the difference was ....smaller egi's?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts