The Lure Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got out this morning for a few hours in the kayak and what a perfect morning it was no wind sun shining and flat calm water.i fished all the sps i had but no fish not even a sign of a fish but tried out the injection from the kayak and it seems right for the job.

·
Registered
779 Posts
nice one on trying - you never know down you way - next fish could be a good double - were you down where I met you (?) - was there bait about?

·
Registered
779 Posts
pat connolly said:
no and no tom but nice to be out and about.

thats the main thing enjoying it - pity about the bait not being about but I guess the water is as about as cold as it will get there at the moment

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
check some of those hooks.

You can see where the rust has bled onto the baits.

If you want my advice...

Add some smaller stuff to your armoury.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Yes m8...

Based on your area and the species present (Bass, Thinlips, Sea Trout, Flounder etc)

Get yourself some 2" one up shads and some 3.5 -5g heads.

Also try pinching a SSG onto a long shanked hook but...

Make it asymmetrical, that means weight more biased to below the shank.

Get some tiny xlayers too.

I reckon if you scale down you'll start to get into some serious stuff.

Remember, even when crab fishing, you'll scale that right down and the bites are very shy.

Your water temp must be at least as low, or lower than ours and ours is 7 deg C

Think small, think slow, think FISH.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Think small, think slow, think FISH.
Course and fly fishermen have been doing this for years. Match anglers will scale everything down in cold clear water, fishing pinkies or squats on tiny hooks, using light lines and poles for delicate presentation. Fly anglers use tiny weighted nymphs, to get down deep and find Grayling in cold water. Lure fishing for bass, in its current form, hasn't been around as long as some of these other styles of fishing and as such we've got to look elsewhere for inspiration and target the fish that are there.We haven't, as yet, had the experience that fly fishermen have got, learning from the likes of Halford, Skues and Sawyer etc and that's what makes this fishing so exciting. We're the ones discovering what works and what doesn't. ( Oh and when I say we, I don't mean me....I'm just tagging along :p )

Standing in the river, shaded from the summer sun by dappled leaves, casting a single dry fly to wild brown trout in a tiny stream, or at midnight, casting a self tied fly under the far bank trees, in the pitch blackness, for Sewin fresh run from the sea, or standing on the rocks, washed by the surf, under a leaden sky, working a lure through a kelp fringed gully waiting for the sudden thump of a good bass.........Why would you want to choose one method or technique. I can't and hope to God I never can !! Just make sure they're fit to go back....;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts