The Lure Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's dark, it's breezy, and there's almost invisible sheet ice between me and the harbour wall. So, pick myself up after going a*** over t** then skip the stepping stones of exposed rock amongst the ice.

With very limited budget lately, I'm using whatever I have around in addition to a newly arrived Cormoran Carbostar UL 0.5-5g rod (35 quid delivered from MrFish). It's my "give it a go" rod which will do for now to try this LRF thing you lot keep harping on about! With it I have a tiny little 1000 reel I got a while back from ebay - one of those 8 quid chinese jobs just for curiosity that turned out to be surprisingly good and ideal for this purpose.

In the lure bag are four 1g jigheads, preloaded with a small 2" Slug-go, a couple of styles of Rattlesnake softies, and a Berkley powerbait bungie something or other. Again, just what I had around rather than any strategic exercise in lure selection ;)

First cast into the pitch black, about twenty seconds of trying to work out what's happening at the business end, then very definitely fish on the Slug-go and I hauled in a nice little pollack. Threw me a bit as the last thing I was expecting was a fish on the very first cast.

The rest of the hour or so session was spent trying the other lures and feeling nibbles and bites on each of them, but I didn't manage to land anything else.

The wind picked up and this was a struggle. It was tough to determine whether some of the sensations in the rod - of which there were many - were from action beneath the water, the rod/line being blown around, or the lure being blown onto the harbour wall (twice that happened and it took me a bit in the dark to work it out).

Next session will have to be in the day I think - and I'm wishing I'd chosen daylight for this first one. I need to tie-in what I can feel in the rod with what I see the rod, line, water, etc doing. Working almost completely blind on the very first try got a little frustrating. But the distinct lack of a blank was reward enough for the effort of getting out there.

Mixed experience so the jury's still out on whether LRF is for me, but tonight was certainly fun at first - until I started thinking and analysing a little too much, I expect.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Neil,
Thanks for the report, I haven't thought of using small Sluggo's. Good to know they work, will have to grab some.
I know what you mean about the wind, all I have come up with so far, is to get as close to water level as possible, and keep the rod tip right at the water surface. As **** said going up in weight on the jighead can help too.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Well done on the fish mate. First of many I reckon.

I can see the wind being a real pain at times, can be bad enough when you're fishing with standard size jigs and plastics. Like Dave said, get the tip down real low. Should help.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
congrats on the first fish mate, and trying it out. ?like yourself i have al imited budget at the moment so keeping prices down a little so i may well try the carbostar rods and if i get into it then upgrade in due course. Thankd for posting up more details mate.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Carbostar performed just fine, Mike. At home it seemed almost too light, but perfectly capable when dealing with the fish and hauling it the few feet up the harbour wall. For that price, it's a no-brainer, I reckon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts