The Lure Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Popped out this afternoon after work to do a quick check on a mark im going to fish in the morning. I mainly wanted to make sure the lures I had selected would be ok in the tide so once happy with that I decided to have a quick go for a wrasse.

First spot drew a blank so I moved further down and on the 3rd or 4th cast tap tap then fish on, Didnt have the scales or digi cam but have some photos on phone that I will upload if OK, I would guess that it went about 3 lb.

It gave a craking account of itself on the HRF rod and was really good fun so I will deff get back out and target them again in the future. Was caught on a 4" purple lure with 7g green football head jig.

Just before I was about to go I decided I would jig the lure up and down over the edge of the ledge so i could see how it falls on the drop, while doing this a wrassed darted out and hammered the lure. Its reactions were quicker than mine and it completely wrecked me straight into the kelp and then just completly hitched less than a foot out.

Hopefully the morning trip to this mark will find me a bass as there seem to be a few being caught over here now. I will post the outcome as I am now getting some spare time to get out and have a proper go with the lures again.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Great report John, well done :-D

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Good work JP. Not seen you in ages. We'll have to meet up and see if we have found out the same things seeing as we are likely fishing some of the same marks.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
It is hotting up over there boys, well done JP. I was speaking with a Gsy man today in my shop, he said nothing is happening over there on lures, no one is getting anything!! HRF needs to be introduced to your fellow islanders guys :)

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Trust me ****, we have tried. I've even part converted our hard core live eel man. Sort of. He still takes eels but admitted to me last night that lures are outfishing live eel at least 4 to 1.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I didnt manage to motivate myself for any early morning sessions but popped out mid mornng with my little cousin today. Me fishing Lures him on fresh rag, First mark not a touch on the bait but i managed to miss 3 on the lures, then moved to a differnt mark and 2 missed on the bait and no interest in the lures. quite similar conditions on both marks just no lure interst at the second.

After losing my gear just before we we about to leave I packed up and left my rod on the rocks, at some point it must have had a knock as 5 minutes later back at the van there was no rod tip. A not so great session now much worse. I guess on the plus side I get to buy a new HRF rod and as much as I liked the bushwaker I think I may look for something a bit more refined.

On a side note I have heard of more bass being caught this week over here than in the last 6 months.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts