The Lure Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone thought I'd better post something, I don't want to be known as a lurker. Dom Sheppard kindly took me out Thursday night to one of his bass marks. Being an avid fly fisherman I thought I'd have a quick go on the fly rod before I tried one of Doms X-layers.

Anyway to my delight after about 30mins just as the light was going I caught a lovely little bass, he'd probably struggle to make a 1lb but what a great fight on a fly rod, shortly after this Dom hooked up with a better bass on one of his x-layers ( both fish went back ok ) I'm now completely hooked on fly fishing for bass and have just ordered a load of stuff to make some bass flies. Does anyone have any patterns that work well around the pembrokeshire coast?

Here's a couple of pics from the night the blood on Doms bass isn't from the fish it's from Doms finger. Were one of the gill spines had him. 1-0 to the Bass.
Cheers Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
a bass is a bass no matter what size. Good wor on the fly fishing.

Not an expert but would love to learn. There was a discussion a little while back in one of this forums sections talking about various fly patterns including flatwings amoung others. maybe a search for that might find it.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Nice work Paul, good going on the Fly Rod, well done and keep it up :-D

·
Registered
519 Posts
won't do to badly using clouser's, flatwings and decievers of differing sizes, weights and colours with either floating or intermediate lines to get you going,

kev

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Nice to see some fly caught fish.

Me and Kev have usually been well into some Fly Rod Bass by this time of year. This year of course we are jig focused but....
We will at some stage very soon throw some fine feathered friends into the water.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Nice work Paul & Dom - Xlayers in the dark, eh? Bet you wouldn't have bet on that being the method to catch a few months ago! Well done lads - see you out there soon...

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Yep, really good work lads. s/p's in the dark so early in the year :D.

I must say that i am starting to get drawn to SWFF. I may have to have a dabble at that soon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts