The Lure Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got out on my new Kayak for the first time yesterday. Conditions were great for my first launch, flat calm very light variable offshore winds.

Took me about an hour on the beach to get set up and organised.

Headed straight across to a reef just off the cliffs and third and fourth casts took decent pollack about 2lb each. Tide slackened and nothing then for an hour of fishing and moving.

I noticed a few gulls getting excited a little way away and headed over to them. First cast on the feed shallow, bang fish on. I knew it was a decent one. It was one angry fish and I knew it was a bass, water erupting on the surface, head shaking. Suddenly it scorched around in an arc behind me. I couldnt turn the yak around and was worried about turning around too much for fear of capsizing so the rod was bending over the back of my shoulder. I was trying to work out how to turn with the paddle one handed and a sickening lurch and she was off.....gutted.

No more takes for another hour and the gulls were gone so headed back over the reef again. Several lure changes later and I decided to pop on the old favourite J13 as distance was not an issue. A couple of very slow, gentle retrieves and bang, fish on. I was luckier with this one, it was more interested in boring down to the weed and I held it up and swung her onboard. Nice fish of around 3lbs.

Couldnt get pics I'm afraid, no dry bag so my mobile was inside my dry suit (had VHF radio on me) and as much as I tried I couldnt get at it with rod and bass on my lap in the yak. Unhooking was interesting!

Sore in some strange places this morning, but a very successful first Yak trip. I loved the mobility, easy launching, quiet and being so close to the water. I have all my safety gear sorted but definitely am on a steep learning curve when it comes to general organisation.

Not sure how you stop a fish streaking around behind you, especially with my high back seat but maybe with more confidence I could turn right around.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Informative thread Mark. How did you get on casting from a sitting position?

I've been thinking about getting a yak for a while, but been put-off cos I wonder how comfortable it is, casting all day from a sitting position .

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Informative thread Mark. How did you get on casting from a sitting position?

I've been thinking about getting a yak for a while, but been put-off cos I wonder how comfortable it is, casting all day from a sitting position .
Hi Adrian,

Thanks, I found it very comfortable for the first 3-4 hours and very stable. AFter that started to feel a bit stiff but nothing too bad and not related to casting.. I have a Prowler Trident 15. Casting was really easy within a certain pretty wide arc, more difficult outside of that. I didnt get the distance that I would achieve with a full swing from the rocks but you really dont need to and of course you can always approach your spot to make sure you cast down wind.

Although I am not confident enough to be moving around all over the place at the moment it was pretty gentle on the nether regions too. I have a pretty decent comfy seat though which I reckon is essential.

I am sore in some strange areas of my shoulders today though where I reckon muscles should be. Having seen people making it look seemingly very easy, I was quite surprised how difficult it was to paddle against a running tide and even the very light winds I was up against from time to time. They were fairly big tides yesterday mind you. With more experience if possible I will time my arrival to travel down to the mark on the right tide and come back when the tide turns!

Its the tricky bits like rod leashes getting in the way, access to tackle, unhooking, turning when a fish is on etc that I found most difficult to overcome.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nice one Mark well done another yaker in the fold.

One trick I use for unhooking fish in the yak is to keep a sack behind the seat, when I have a fish ready to be boated i dunk the sack in the tide and lay it across my legs bring the fish on to the sack fold the sack over it, this seems to keep the fish quiet and does not damage it whilst unhooking and you don't end up with spines in the privates

·
Registered
229 Posts
Great report Mark and well done for your maiden voyage!

Regarding the aches, a mate of mine who does a lot of long distance yakking says there is no training you can do just keep paddling!

With the bass running behind, I find you have to be a bit ambidextrous and swap hands to keep in contact with the fish. You also need a rod long enough to pass the line around the bow and stern of the yak without fouling. Thats one reason I've never like the so called "yak" rods of 4ft or less!

Good tip zirg, should save punctured legs in the summer and a leaky drysuit in the winter.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Great report Mark and well done, thanks for sharing :-D

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
well done on your maiden voyage mark , pretty successful trip.
i find if you keep the rod out in front of you but extended to the side the fish is running on it is usually enough to get your turning with the fish pulling you round .

·
Registered
991 Posts
Nice report mate! Where in Cornwall are you based? I've also got the prowler trident but 13, such a beauty in my opinion! If your ever up for heading out for a bass session etc give me a shout, I'm always up for it! With regards to the fish going behind you and giving you the run-around, just don't let them!! Make sure your drag is set properly and bully the fish to turn. Hold the rod to the side and just imagine stearing your prize away from a lilly bed/patch of weed etc ;-) dont let it get the upper hand and you'll be onto a winner!! :)

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice report mate! Where in Cornwall are you based? I've also got the prowler trident but 13, such a beauty in my opinion! If your ever up for heading out for a bass session etc give me a shout, I'm always up for it! With regards to the fish going behind you and giving you the run-around, just don't let them!! Make sure your drag is set properly and bully the fish to turn. Hold the rod to the side and just imagine stearing your prize away from a lilly bed/patch of weed etc ;-) dont let it get the upper hand and you'll be onto a winner!! :)
Hi Mat, thanks, I'm right down on the Lizard. Yes I'm very happy with the Trident 15.

"Just dont let them".....I'll try to be ready next time but easier said than done with this particular fish. Dont know how big she was but lots bigger than the 3 pounder I landed. The speed and power she suddenly moved took me off guard, one second head shaking infront of me, next off like a rocket and was really motoring and so much power there. Only had about 20 foot of line out so was soon round behind my rod arm in a flash. I have had big bass beach themselves like this from the shore before.

I have been out a few times since and had several more bass no problem and am much more confident about moving my body position without fear of capsizing. Dont reckon I would be quite so awkward again but whether I would land it next time................

Lilly bed? I've never fished where there are lillies!

·
Registered
991 Posts
Lilly bed? I've never fished where there are lillies!

;-) haha I just meant 'imagine' as if playing say a pike away from the lillies etc ;-)

sounds like your loving your kayak! Have you tried the side saddle when playing a fish? Could help out next time?! I like the point made earlier about having a rod that will easily clear all point of your craft! That'll def help

·
Registered
75 Posts
good feeling catching fish whilst nearly sitting in the water well done :wink:
Best peice of advice for anyone starting off kayak angling is fish with others and youll be suprised the little things you can learn in just one trip .It can help no end best of luck for future paddles the pains will become less severe with paddle practise

1 - 15 of 15 Posts