The Lure Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick post as this is the first decent fish I have had on the Island for quite a while. 60cms in nice condition on a Megabass zonk (silver colour with dark top). Went back fine. Quite a relief, I was beginning to think they were never coming back!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Well done Dave, lovely looking Bass :p

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Cracking fish Dave! You cant beat those zonks!

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Great stuff. I always thought the I.O.W. looked like a great venue for a bumble.

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Lovely looking fish ... well done ... lets hope they stay around for another month!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Robert, I think many of us over work our lures and not just that, jerk/sweep/pop/slide etc them too hard as well.

Straight, slow-medium retrieves are very much underated. I've had a lot of fish on the Jackson Artoron this year on mainly ultra slow retrieves just so the tail is working with the odd pause and a very gentle twitch.

Obviously finding the fish is the important and hard part, but when we (certainly I do) do we get a tad over excited, cast out and work the lure back like it's having a fit rather than on it's last legs fighting for it's life. Just my humble opinion and I'm by no way a pro lure angler so take that with a pinch of salt. My bigger fish nearly always come by way of the slower worked lures. Next year I am going to give big, slow sinking swimbaits a real chance worked slow and as close to the bottom as possible. There are some decent cheap-ish swimbaits out there so I won't mind if a I lose a few whilst trialling this method in more depth than I have this year.

Top man, Dave... Made up for you mate. N, S, E or W?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts