The Lure Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ben and I headed out again late last week. I got to the mark first and quickly picked a few small schoolies. I was then lucky enough to pick up this fella about 3lb!

Ben arrived and we each had a couple of mini bass . I saw Ben wave 40 yards up the beach as he unhooked a bass of around 1lb. Ben has unhooked a lot of bass in his time and I was surprised to hear him calling for help! Legging it up the beach I was greeted with a sorry looking bass still impaled on two trebles and the third treble was soundly buried in Bens hand by two prongs!

Sorry their so poor quality!

I released the bass (priorities!) and we assessed the damage. With two prongs firmly embedded, no amount of persuasion with pliers would release them despite crushed barbs. We had passed another (bait) angler 150 yards back, I shot off and luckily borrowed a pair of side cutters and so at least we could deal with each point individually. One eventually came free but the second stubbornly refused. Being the sensible, rational bloke he is – Ben decided to carry on fishing! The last point did work free after I had left and Ben had picked up a couple of better fish to 3lb.

Ben knows what he is doing but it does go to show that a moment’s lapse of concentration on even a small bass can result in a trip to A & E if you are not careful. Moral of the story I guess is if you have Bogas – use them and possibly we should all carry a small pair of side cutters. Still another goods days fishing and alls well that ends well.

Reactions: Ben Pratt

·
Registered
437 Posts
Lol!! The hook left in my hand actually popped out later when it came into contact with a tight line. I just heard a metallic ping and it was gone. I think the lesson learned is not to hold on to the lure when a feisty bass is on the other end.

Also nice fish Andrew.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Wow that looks painful, thanks for reporting it like that, makes us all take a little more care unhooking, i certainly will! Very nice fish...

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Ben,
Sorry you got stuck, but it is somethig that can happen very easily. Especially whe handling small lively bass.
Fair play to you for carrying on-And glad you said that it has since healed.
A word of warning though, your hands contain alot of veins, tendons,nerves. Rather than trying to remove a treble. Much safer to tape the treble in place.
And let a doctor sort it out later. My father lost some feeling in his hand, after sharing a crystal minow with a striper, and then pulling free.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Ouch!!
I must get some side cutters, you have proved that crushed barbs can still make removing hooks painfull.
Thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Ouch indeed. The top picture is definately the better one to look at.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Well done on getting "stuck-in" and landing some bass. We've all done it - fish wriggles and there you are - impaled! A small multi-tool with sidecutters saved the day for me and I Was able to unthread the treble prong once it had been cut from the hook, and carried on. Embarassing though!

·
Banned
891 Posts
Touch wood, I've never had the "pleasure" of a situation like that... Not sure I'd even know what to do even with side cutters.... Looks painful, the "man award" of the year is firmly in your pocket!

I'm always paranoid about hooks in hand after a couple of near misses and now will never unhook a bass by hand preferring to use forceps and letting the bassy unhook itself!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts