The Lure Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's yours?

Not moving enough? Not concentrating enough when actually fishing? Lack of water craft? Changing/not changing lures enough? Using the same type of plug all the time? Casting accuracy? Going to the same marks all the time? Forgetting the basics like current, structure, baitfish? Not thinking enough about what you're doing? Snatching at takes?

Mine? Knots! I am terrible at knots no matter how much I practice. I can do a half-blood knot, an arbor, a palomar and a improved albright and that is it! Often I have to do the improved albright 4 or 5 times at home before I am happy with its snugness. Sooooooooo frustrating sometimes. Is it because I have fat fingers, lack of confidence or simply a blind spot? I dunno. Gets right on my proverbials sometimes. It's not like they are even difficult knots in the first place.

If it's cold, dark or raining and my leader goes I just always revert to braid straight through as I just know I'll be mucking about for ages and will end up getting the hump.

So, do you have any fishing blind spots? Something you just can't get a handle on no matter how much you try/practice?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I think my blind spot comes in the planning stage of a trip. I decide on a day I'm fishing, then on a mark, then how I'm going to approach it.

On the day I keep rigidly sticking to what I've planned, stubbornly determined to make it work instead of being flexible and reacting to surroundings, conditions, local knowledge or what people around me are catching on. I keep trying and trying and trying....

Then, after my session I find myself thinking "I should have tried this..." "I should have moved there..." "This mark would have been better if the tide was....." etc etc

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
i totally agree with rob . i should have more faith to in WHAT i do

·
Registered
393 Posts
im one of these people that forgets to move!! il stick in the same area for the whole trip, then afterwards i wonder why i blanked!! its so frustrating. Im also a bit dubious about searching out new marks and i dont know why.

·
Registered
505 Posts
My blind spot-i'll try and over complicate what i'm doing, instead of doing the basics well and keeping a lure in the water. It's a trait that followed me from my fly fishing, where instead instead of giving one particular method time to work, i'll be chopping and changing to some radical approach, when in fact all the fish want is you to cast it and pull it back.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Lack of planning, I'll tend to fish where I feel like and how I want instead of thinking about conditions tides and what marks are likely to produce under certain condition...

This effects my catches, but but not my enjoyment!

Oddly this is the exact opposite of when I get the beachcasters out when I'll know exactly where, why and what I am going to do

·
Registered
884 Posts
My blind spot is not moving enough. I know I shoud but i dont and boy do I pay for it some times..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts