The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a new fishing jacket and I'm just wondering if anyone would recommend looking at any ones in particular or more to the point any to steer clear of.

I've been using a North Face jacket for the past two years or so and whilst it kept the water out generally speaking it hasn't faired particularly well and has frayed pretty badly especially around the cuffs and neck. I still use it and it still works ok but the thing that bugs me about it is the lack any sort of storm cuff. I was looking at a Greys jacket recently, it was either the G Series or the Gxri, tbh I can't remember but it looked decent enough but I was wondering just how waterproof they are?

At the moment I'm just trying to figure out if I'm better off going for a 'Fishing Jacket' or an 'Outdoor Jacket' if you know what I mean ad I'd really appreciate any suggestions or advice.

Thanks

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
I researched this to death back earlier in the year. I am incredibly unimpressed with my Greys Grxi wading jacket. It's pants in very wet conditions (rain & the odd wave). It takes water on-board to become very heavy, and the hand-warmer pockets hold a puddle of water which is pretty unpleasant.

I looked at cags (see this thread http://www.thelureforum.com/showthread.php?t=697 ), but in the end i went for a sailing jacket . . . http://www.tidalrange.co.uk/product...d=142&osCsid=eba5400d585adf38614a43f7fe34e467 (better pic of the hood here . . . http://www.sailingclothingstore.co....medium=GoogleShopping&utm_campaign=googlebase ).

It seals up around the waist, sleeves & neck, meaning that i stay dry in wild conditions. I only picked it up at the start of the season, so havent tested it extensively yet, but so far, so good.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Dave, as Si said we have discussed this one long and hard in the past. If you are committed to fishing wild conditions (big surf or heavy rain) then I don't think the cags can be beaten (saw Si & Jeff Clapham last winter in theirs and they were dry & warm in wicked conditions) but they aren't cheap. I know Si is unhappy with his wading jacket, but for the £50 I paid for it at Garry Evans, the Scierra Canyon wading jacket I got last year has been pretty reliable. Not 100% waterproof (my mobile went for a burton despite being in the jacket pocket!), but copes with most stuff, and imoprtantly it is light, warm and cuts the wind out. Cheap & cheerful if Garry Evans still has the offer on. I'm wearing the jacket in the avatar photo....

·
Registered
129 Posts
Simon is spot on go have a look at some of the sailing jackets the likes of the musto stuff is top notch see here: http://www.musto.com/fcp/categorylist/dept/mens_coats_jackets

There is a few good outdoor shops up the capel st area and the army supplies shop over the smithfield side of it there all good for that kinda stuff. Also on henry gilbeys blog about 2 months ago he was talking about clothing as far as I know. And fabsil spray is very good for waterproofing clothing and stuff.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Dave, one to avoid is Titantex - see my separate post on this one. for deep wading I have used a Musto wading jacket which has been excellent. My only gripe would be that the hood doesn't zip up far enough when you have to face right into a force 7 or 8 driving rain. For a full length jacket go for a decent brand marine jacket. I have used a Musto on my boat for many years and it has always kept me warm and dry. THe alternative is to fork out for purpose made American angling clothing such as Simms.

I also use a berghaus ultra lightweight goretex jacket and equivalent overtrousers when I am boat fishing for trout. Expensive kit but very high performance and extremely packable if you are travelling with it. i took mine to the Hebrides and it did the business in some really vile weather.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the comment lads

I had a look at that Simms jacket when I was over in the states and it look the business but the funds just wont stretch quite that far at the moment unfortunately, very nice bit of kit though.

As for the Greys Grxi wading jacket, well I'm glad I heard that before I went and bought one. The bit about the hand-warmer pockets filling with water sounds a bit dodgy alright.

I also had a quick look to see if Garry Evans had any of those Scierra Canyon wading jackets left, he does and they are even cheaper at just £35, however he only has x-large and xx-large unfortunately.

I think the sailing jacket route would seem to be just what I'm after and I don't know why it never occurred to me to look at the sailing stuff before. Anyway I had a quick look on the web at the Henri Lloyd and Musto stuff and they seem to be in or around the kind of budget I had in mind so I'll have to take a spin out during the week and have a look at some of them.

Thanks again lads

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I'm in the market for a new fishing jacket and I'm just wondering if anyone would recommend looking at any ones in particular or more to the point any to steer clear of.

I've been using a North Face jacket for the past two years or so and whilst it kept the water out generally speaking it hasn't faired particularly well and has frayed pretty badly especially around the cuffs and neck. I still use it and it still works ok but the thing that bugs me about it is the lack any sort of storm cuff. I was looking at a Greys jacket recently, it was either the G Series or the Gxri, tbh I can't remember but it looked decent enough but I was wondering just how waterproof they are?

At the moment I'm just trying to figure out if I'm better off going for a 'Fishing Jacket' or an 'Outdoor Jacket' if you know what I mean ad I'd really appreciate any suggestions or advice.

Thanks
Is it a wading jacket you want, or a 3/4 length jacket?

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have extensively tested simms gear here in the UK, Norway, Russia, the States etc and imho it is the best no question! I use only simms gear now and do not believe there is any purposely designed fishing clothing to even challenge it. 99.999999% of guides I have fished with worldwide only use Simms. Initial cost can be a stumbling block though!!!! Cheaper alternatives include Loop and Guideline.

·
Registered
990 Posts
My waders and boots are Simms G4's and they are the best. You get what you pay for, Iestyn is bang on. I've not got the jacket yet in Simms colours but will do soon. But to date I have been using the Loop jacket and must say the jacket is fantastic!

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I have extensively tested simms gear here in the UK, Norway, Russia, the States etc and imho it is the best no question! I use only simms gear now and do not believe there is any purposely designed fishing clothing to even challenge it. 99.999999% of guides I have fished with worldwide only use Simms. Initial cost can be a stumbling block though!!!! Cheaper alternatives include Loop and Guideline.
I agree with that,,,,,But if you want to invest wait until the end of season sale at Sportfish as you may get 40%-60% off.......................

·
Registered
2,796 Posts

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Certainly did Si and at £90 I think it was a bargain......:-D:-D:-D:-D

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
<a href="http://www.thelureforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2105" target="_blank">

:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
<a href="http://www.thelureforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2109" target="_blank">

Gotta like the MPX Race jacket as well :wink::wink:

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Dave, have a troll through the depths of that wonderful auction site........I have a habit of collecting cags and the like and with thoughts of what the jacket is being used for, maybe a tried and tested but much cheaper option is the way forward (got a two layer gore-tex cag with latex seals all round for a stupid price!) I've also gone with a drysuit and wetsuit (depending on time of year) and have gone way past the 'fishing' jackets shown in many shops ;)

Only problem with a true cag is that its mighty fine once its on.....but then, its only on when the foul seas/weather is giving its best :D

Not got wet since.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
I got one of these the HENRI LLOYD TP2 SHADOW 2G JACKET in the carbon colour http://www.marinechandlery.com/prod...p2-shadow-2g-jacket-special-offer-25-off.aspx.

I saw this jacket in a sailing shop and just went for it. It is early days yet but I'm very happy with it so far light, waterproof and breathable, not as short as a wading jacket but considerably shorter than a 3/4 length jacket. I had been looking at kayak style jackets and this may be rubbish but I read somewhere that they are usually not breathable, which kind of makes sense. Anyway, they also do a version of the Shadow with the turtle (kayak style neck) in versions with and without a hood. I'm afraid I nearly strangled myself in the shop trying it on and then broke into a sweat wondering if I would ever get out of the thing!

Postscript:

Sorry Simon,

I now see that you have already suggested the above (well the sealed neck version) on the third post above. Great minds and all that, however, you are obviously a more flexible chap than me, I had to go for the more conventional version. Or perhaps my dressing skills aren't what they used to be, I shall have to reinstate my manservant!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts