The Lure Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After losing a couple of fish last night I have a few questions:

When fishing weedless, do you bury the hook tip back in the SP? If so how much?

Do you strike when you get hit? I tend to lift quickly into the bite and keep reeling but I wouldn't call it a strike. If you do strike, how hard?

Do you think its worth fishing weedless or is there anything you can do when fishing with a normal jig head to avoid and get out of snags?

Cheers

·
Registered
156 Posts
I never use weedless, i have no confidence in them at all, however i will use the cheapest jigs i can find, plus if it too snaggy i wont use my x-layers, unless all else fails.
you can buy sps so cheap, and if u do lose them you do not feel so bad.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Pete, I love fishing weedless and generally get solid hook-ups in the top lip of the fish. I missed a couple yesterday but they were tiny fish so I am not surprised. I don't normally put the hook point into the back of the lure (I think Keith refers to this as "skinning" the hook) but aim to rig the slug/senko/grub so that it is rigged straight and the tip of the hook lies flat against the back of the lure. My lad is better at rigging them for me - he just seems to know where to put the hook through the lure. I use offset wide gape hooks as a rule and as long as I pick the right size for the lure, I don't seem to have many issues. I fish this way out of preference as I am a clumsy person and with jigheads I always snag the bottom and I hate losing gear and having to re-tie leaders, clips etc. My best discovery has been the Fin'Acky weighted hooks from AGM Tackle. You'd be amazed at what a big difference just 2g weight on the shank of the hook can make!

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I rig weedless with offset (texas style) hooks, I don't "skin" the hook, just lie it against the back of the SP. I dropped a fish yesterday but it was well into the fight. I doubt it was the hook??? I also landed one very clearnly hooked in the bottom jaw (???). I have had a lot of fish rigged in this was with offset worm hooks (texan hooks?) and yesterday was the first fish I lost after hooking. Sure I have missed a load of bites but unless you can prove to me they were not small pollack plucking the tail... you know what I mean!!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
You probably know my thoughts regards weedless rigging.

If you read enough US freshwater Bass sites you'll see that my findings are an achillies heel of offset hooks.
Maybe that is why there is so many various types ?

Anyway, I reckon the hookup:landing ratio is pants compared to straight shank weedless rigging.

·
Registered
540 Posts
confidence plays a major part to fishing weedless and you HAVE to be confident in your set-up. I have used straight shank and offset hooks usually cutting points if I skin them or standard points if the choosen sp has a recess for the hook. With regards to striking....its a grey area im affraid!!! I do tend to set the hooks with a sharp firm hit when skinning or using bulkier shad shaped bodies, I find slimmer baits do not mask the gape (bulk up) and impair hook penetration but even then I still "tighten" into the fish. I believe strike rate is more in the timing tbh, providing your set-up allows precise control and feel so you know exactly where the lure is and what it is doing at all times! you wont miss many fish then and you usually get good hook-ups every time.

·
Banned
792 Posts
use the weighted hooks also, make them myself. Posted the "howto..." somewhere here. As long as I do not oversize the hooks the fish to my feeling get hooked normally. Hate lusing plugs etc very much, too.

Cheers
Thomas

·
Registered
949 Posts
I like the look of the pegged straight shank settup.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts