The Lure Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing as I haven't fishing much lately I thought I should go out for a fish this afty when the skies finally cleared a little.

Went to one of my wrasse marks hoping for a decent one, one of those ones which has smashed me up in the past!!

it started very slow and I just couldn't fine one. Then I had a few knocks and the fight was on, and then off again as it went into the bootlace. Wasn't coming out.

After an hour with no joy I moved a bit to cast more off the "beach" into the rough, there was a lot of suspended kelp bits int he shallows for the first 15ft or so after the weekends storms.

It was close to that mess that I had a take on the brown homemade, I saw the back under the kelp mess and was convinced it was a dark bass. But it wasn't.

Was a very long wrasse but no weight to it, only 3-5-8.

2710Rockie.JPG

I had another take a few casts later right under the weedy mess but no hookup.

Moving on to escape the advancing tide and I had a go with a shad. More wrasse. right under my feet.

Then I switched to a more obvious colour in a reins rockvibe 4" in gold. Perfect colour for that sort of ground IMO, and I was proved right very shortly after!!

2710bass.JPG

49cm. just under size. Quickly returned. Gave me a good scrap actually.

had a few pollack, then some more wrasse and then something strange went on. I was retreiving faster to keep the lure higher in the water and kept getting belting takes but no hookups. A couple of times the lure was pinched off the hook and other hits it was fine and no lure damage.

Very odd, felt like bass takes.

I also popped out LRF last night on some rocks and ended with 7 pollack to 2lb on the Salty Shot and 10lb G-Soul.

Using the "big" lures Reins aji Meet, all OTD takes with a 1.8g head and size 8. I must have dropped as many fish on the way in and had twice as many hits on the drop. Disadvantage of small hooks I guess?

BabyLure.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Nice and fishing and interesting report as always Andy. That LRF bait is proper tiny.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Great report and photo's Andy.......:-D:-D:-D

You are my hero..all that fishing and you still get out for more.....How do you do it???...;-);-)

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Well done Andy, another great report and pics :p

·
Registered
498 Posts
nice one andy good stuff,looks like some of your recent purchases are working, reins are the business, nice net

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Went this morning with rockworm (verm) form the freezer to try get the nipper a bass but none about, had several takes and a fair size rockie, I am definitely allergic to verm though. My hands had clear blisters and a rash all over them on the way home. Good reason to continue with my lure fishing year round!! Smelly horrid bait stuff.

Went again this afternoon lure only and nailed another dozen or so wrasse. nothing huge, best about 3lb at a guess. My camera is in the van and it's dark so will have to put the pics up another time. Might go again in a bit when the nippers in bed some light heads and swing some shads through if i can find some tide somewhere. I've got this week off which is why i am fishing as much as I can get away with. The Reins rockvibe was the weapon of choice this afty and it did OK, but not as good as the homemade lures. Far fewer bites and smaller average fish. Interesting... The tail also gets bitten off much more easily with the rockvibe, but maybe I need to try 3 inch instead of 4 for wrasse. Only one way to find out...

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's one of my marks I went to look at at low water. And there's me wondering why they all take in one place and then the big ones go solid. Hiding behind a rock i reckon!! Looks like a bass mark but not had one there yet.

Mark5.JPG

For scale, the big brown rock sticking up where the fish hide behind at high water is taller than me, about 8 or 9ft i reckon.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts