The Lure Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a bit of a fishing drought of late due to work but managed to grab a couple of hours last Friday evening and took the kayak out on the North Coast. I wanted to experiment a bit with various plastics and lures and started fishing with a 7" Sluggo on a Xorus Texas Power weighted weedless hook casting it into some very thick kelp beds in water about 10m deep.

Third cast had a very savage take and very impressive fight from a fit fish of around 4lb - it felt a lot bigger. Persisted with the Sluggo dragging it though some really rough ground but no further takes.

Then moved on to fish over shallower broken ground and changed to a Megabass SW120 in HT Hama Shirasu and second cast picked up a schoolie of about 1.5 lb that was followed in by three others, quickly unhooked and recast but didn't connect for about another 10 mins, changed to a Patchinko 100 and first cast had another schoolie of about the same size carried on for another 45 mins but nothing further. No photos unfortuately as I was on my own.

As weather was good had a family day on the boat out from Padstow on the Saturday but managed a few hours early morning before running back in to collect the family. There were a lot of boats around the island and again I wanted to try to experiment so started using a Xorus Sayori shad rigged on a 30g rolling shad jig head - I wasn't entirely sure how it was going to work as I was fishing in about 30m of water but second cast it was hit by a very decent pollack that was around 9-10 lb. It's the first time I've caught pollack of this size on a 8ft spinning rod and it was a real clutch screaming fight with 4 decreasing dives.

I carried on fishing and moved as the tide started to ebb and changed to a 50g Xorus Coyotte as I was now in about 40m of water. Didn't catch any bass but ended up by 09:00 with 12 pollack up to around 10lb, the smallest was about 3lb and the majority were over 5lb. Will certainly be trying this again as it was excellent morning. I didn't get the opportunity to take photos as I found out that phones and sea water don't mix when I dropped it in the bilge of the boat but I did manage to retreive the attached from the memory card.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Nice one Ben. Love the dolphins!

Might have to get you to take me out on the boat after some of those pollack at some point! lol.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ben - yes it would be good to get out, my problem at present is too much work and not enough fishing. Next opportunity for me is probably going to be around the 9th July - how are you fixed?.

On a separate note Veals came up with the goods and I recieved my 9ft Tournament yesterday, I was expecting the 14-56g version as discussed but recieved the 14-42g, as you advised it's an excellent rod so have decided to keep it anyway. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Ah, nice one! Hopefully she'll do you nicely. Took a while to christen mine but she's flying now.

Around the 9th should be fine by me. See what the weather's doing and if it's flat calm and fishy looking I'd love to join you. Not sure how my sea legs are these days! Give me a call whenever you next think about it.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Great report Ben. A 10lb callig is fine sport - there are very few of those left round here now.
That sea looks beautiful, I love getting out early when it's flat calm and none of the more unsavoury type of boaters have made it out of bed!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts