The Lure Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just throwing this out to not only the usual suspects but anyone who can contribute pictures/ideas of baitfish locally at this time of the year - specifically so I can tie some patterns for Jersey Bass fest at the end of this month ...

Was thinking along the lines of sandeel patterns, mullet patterns and squid?

Flatwings, hollow ties, clousers - think I will be mainly targetting shallower areas in between and over rough ground (will tie some with weed guards so I can sling them anywhere!) including alot of black / blurple patterns for night time flinging!

Any pointers, photos or ideas welcome!

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
It may not be a big help, but on the sandy beaches at night, there are hundreds of thousands of 5-6 inch squid at the moment.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
It may not be a big help, but on the sandy beaches at night, there are hundreds of thousands of 5-6 inch squid at the moment.
Hence 'Pink' plugs...

Alex...

Squid flies or...Flatwings that have pink hues. Clousers, a must in a good range too. 4" long is a good start upto really heavy eyes.
Bent back flies are an option. You are coming on a full moon cycle so colours will be a consideration. Never ignore full black.
Bring me some too... LOL

Rays flies (sparse).

To be honest, in the runs, you can choose or, opt to fish one of 2 ways.

On ebbs, water is generally running out quick, backing down to steady and then stop. I prefer swung or drifted flatwings in such conditions.
However, rising water in some gutters requires fly changes that are fast. Clousers are better as the water speed rises and depth increases especially now as you have much cleaner run throughs as the weed has mostly died away.

I really should rekindle my fly fishing here. I have years of experience but this past year, It took a huge backseat to jigs, LRF and HRF. Obviously, we've learned a bunch but fly fishing is just so ....

Well, I can't explain it but you know what I mean.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts