The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience of using float tubes?

I don't want to fish from one (although I guess I could if all goes well), what i want is a means of getting across a 100 yard stretch of water so I can fish from the shore from the other side. Would I be able to wear regular fishing gear (chest waders, jacket,) etc and not get wet or do I need a wet/dry suit?

I don't want the hassle of a rigid boat or an inflatable dinghy, just something I can keep in the car and use from time to time when conditions allow.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Adrian, I have been using a float tube on a trout lake for several years now and they are great fun to fish from. They are designed to be used with chest waders, so you will be able to wear all your usual plugging gear + a pair of flippers.

I have the one below which you sit very high in so only your shins get wet, but others are a lower ride. I used to have a normal dougnut ring type before I won that one at a comp, and for £40 including flippers for tacklebargains it did the job exceptionally well. One thing that would be useful for the prupose you are intending is a set of shoulder straps for carrying down to the marks. My first one didn't have those.

http://www.fishermanstacklecompany....on&mid=MM12&xm=1&tp=1&smp=1&cid=1&ref=FROOGLE

We have not taken them out in the salty stuff yet, but I'm sure at some point they will get an outing.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks Vaughan. i was looking at the snowbee one but i also see that ron thompson does one at a very reasonable price. I guess you get what you pay for. To start with i dont want to fish from it, just use it to get across a very narrow but long stretch of water that takes hours to walk around. But I guess I'd soon have to have a go at fishing from it and can think of loads of places in Poole, Christchurch and Portland Harbours that could offer safe fishing, not to mention some of the freshwater locations I do too. I think the weather would have to be pretty settled to consider venturing out into the open sea though.

Good to know that regular chesties can be used with them, thanks. i see there is a float tube fishing association too.

oh, and I guess you have to be pretty careful with lures festooned with trebles!

·
Registered
372 Posts
No prob Adrian. My mate has the RT one, and is very happy with it. I know a few others with them too and have not heard of any complaints.

I am a member of the BFTA, they are a good bunch of chaps and well worth joining up if you ever plan on doing any trout fishing on it as they have lots of events round the country and also there are a few lakes that can only be used on a tube if you are a member. Sadly for me, most of the events are up the line so can only make the odd or two each year. Luckily for me one event on their circuit, the Snowbee Cornish Float Tube Open, is held at drift reservoir each year which is only a couple of miles away.

Posted this in another section earlier:

have been very tempted to take them out in sheltered bays etc, but definately would not be going anywhere with lots of tide!!!

Although with a support boat at hand, a few drifts across some local reefs with a nice double or two on the end of the line would be pretty entertaining I expect.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Adrian,

I have one that I have only used 3 times you can have for £50 ( no fins). I used to live near a trout fishery that allowed their use. It was fun to fish from.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers Nick, I'll take you up on that generous offer. Is it the RT one? I'll PM you so we can arrange collection etc.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Adriam mate i will 2nd that float tubes are imense fun though only use it in eclosed waters. harbours, inshore and you will come unstuck in double quick time mate the undertow of the saltwater is too much with the fins for moving around.this is with out current and surface area of float tubes you may not feel the current to stand in it but it will be there even just the flood or ebbing tides. I know of people in ireland that use pontoon boats in inshore waters and harbours these utilise fins and oars also mate they are a lot safer for salt a cross over float tube really. check them here http://www.pontoonboats.co.uk/products/pontoon-boats.htmthough in freshwater they are unbeatable mate realy are. As for ease of fishing its like fishing from an armchair!
Safty wise most of them have more than 1 internal bladder so if you get a punctue you have a fair chance of reaching the bank though as always wear a bouyancy aid of some sort for safety mate.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Adriam mate i will 2nd that float tubes are imense fun though only use it in eclosed waters. harbours, inshore and you will come unstuck in double quick time mate the undertow of the saltwater is too much with the fins for moving around.this is with out current and surface area of float tubes you may not feel the current to stand in it but it will be there even just the flood or ebbing tides. I know of people in ireland that use pontoon boats in inshore waters and harbours these utilise fins and oars also mate they are a lot safer for salt a cross over float tube really. check them here http://www.pontoonboats.co.uk/products/pontoon-boats.htmthough in freshwater they are unbeatable mate realy are. As for ease of fishing its like fishing from an armchair!
Safty wise most of them have more than 1 internal bladder so if you get a punctue you have a fair chance of reaching the bank though as always wear a bouyancy aid of some sort for safety mate.
Thanks for the advice Mike. I'm really only looking for a cheap and simple way of getting to a mark that otherwise is a very long walk. I'm prepared to accept the limitations sea wise and probably wont use it for fishing from. i intend to use it only at slack tides too, i'm very aware of the power and danger of the sea and wont take risks.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Five years on ........

Has anyone who has used a float tube anything to add to this thread?

I have a holiday booked where I will be literally on the water in a sheltered harbour / marina and close to several shallow saltwater lagoons within a mile from where we are staying

Last time I was there it occurred to me that a floaty tube would be an ideal way of getting beyond the impenetrable tangle of mangroves

Any recommendations for make and type etc?

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One word of advice, you need a nice gently shelving beach or bank to make getting in and out feasible. Great fun in the right place, and successful too.

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
Mangroves? Are you planning to blag this as hand luggage Steve, because they weigh a bit, and the excess baggage fees are going to mount up., unless you're buying one out there, and only paying one way. Also any chance of sharks thinking you're a turtle, and having a flipper off? seriously thats what the tiger sharks on Reunion do to surfers

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Kev was saying last week that Phil has never let a woman near his ring or rod.

Millie has a small inflatable dinghy Mrs P is welcome to. I can even lend you some tow rope.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Float tubes are like London buses ;)

That's a seriously generous offer Ade - which I shall consider - but I am trying to gain an unfair advantage over Mrs P as she claimed a draw during our last fishing holiday even though I beat her fair and square on aggregate size.

I may take Rob up on his offer of Millie's inflatable dinghy for her but I'm buggered if I'm going to tow her around on the end of a rope given that she might thrash me which I would never be able to live down :evil:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts