The Lure Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Too brighten up this endless winter here are a few pic's of me and my brothers foreign fish.
We always fish light tackle and a lot of these were caught by sight casting too specific fish.
Floriada first:
Flounder-Soft Plastic

More too follow could only put 4 imiges a time.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More pics.

Blue Fish-Heddon Spook Jr-

Grouper-Trolled Yo-Zuri crystal Minnow-

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
More pics.

More Redfish Sorry i've had too do it like this.....

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still more

Some sun set's(there sooooooo beautifull every night)-

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
THey just keep coming

Now for a couple from cuba-
Toothy critters-

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
More from cuba...

Tarpon on fly and slug-go's(shame roach don't grow like that here)-

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Last lot-

Hope they brighten your cold january night.
Again sorry it's not laid out well, i'm not good on these coputer things.
Cheers Nathan.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It certainly is, a rod bar 240. We paid one of the catermaran guys too take us out trolling dead baits and plugs around some of the reefs and islands off shore.
We caught plenty of cuda's, king mackrel and snappers.The guy was laughing at me because the rod was so thin compared too the broom handles there used too but the Rod Bar coped easily, if only bass would bend it like that.
The tarpon were great fun. We fished in a backwater/canal system with channels, big flats and mangroves and we sight cast too rolling fish with flys and 6inch slug-go's.
They ranged fom that roach sized one up too about 20lbs. We hooked plenty of bigger ones but as u may know they are hook throwing experts, but the fun is in spotting them nailing the cast and then driving them crazy with the slug-go till they smash it, it's all in the take.
We used 6 and 7 wieght fly rod's great fun.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Excellent. I love fishing like that.
Perhaps we can arrange the next thelureform.com meet out there!!!!
Where did you fish Nathan? (a bit more specific please unless it is a secret!)

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah a meet out there would be great!!!!
It's no secret with regards too marks. The florida photo's are in the county of sarasotta on the west/gulf coast. We fished off the beach and in the backwaters/intercoastal waterways. We hired a boat a couple of times which is fun for casting plugs and sps. at docks and other features, but fishing off the beach is very produtive early morning and evening time. We have been goin there for a few years now so have a fair idea of the best methods. The key for the big snook and reds is too buy a good quality, fine gauge cast net in order too catch the live baitfish/greenbacks that inhabit the coastline. The bigger the baitfish the better, these are then kept alive in an aerated bucket or little keepnet. Providing the sea isn't too rough or murky we then walk up and down the beach trying too spot the fish. Once spotted we then cast a freelined baitfish at them and watch, it's a great method and test's every aspect of your hunting/fishing skills.
The cuba photo's were taken in an area called the cayo's off the north coast.
There are two main cayo's for holiday makers, cayo guillermo and cayo coco. Now it's important too realise this isn't one of your top of the range mega bucks bonefishing trips. It's not well renowned for its sport fishing and although there are a couple of local guides there not great and i wouldn't personally bother. If anyone has baggage on holiday(wife/kids)this is a great place too go. Firstly it's an all inclusive type holiday so your other half will be happy lying on the beach drinking while u go off exploring the local flats.
There are some small too med. size bones on the main beach of cayo guillermo and some nice tarpon in the backwaters behind the hotels. However if you stay on cayo coco there is no good fishing directly off the resort beach.U need too get a taxi too the flats although the bones are much bigger. We also saw some huge permit(take crab flies we didn't) and some good size tarpon. If you plan on goin a quick look on google earth is good for flats spotting.
Hope this helps. Let me know if u want more info.
Cheers Nathan

·
Registered
722 Posts
Very nice pictures and fish there Nathan
its Sarasota where going to Helmsley sandcastle hotel (private beach) was just going to take the fly rod but the Bushwacker/bpner might have to be included, could you give me any other tips help where the good tackle shops are in that area ? (dont think Mr fish will post to usa LOL),

ill have to have ware a Lure forum T-shirt while im out there

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
About too head out sorry Marc ill give u some more details tomorrow if that's ok.
Sorry again Nath

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.