The Lure Forums banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
By the way - any problems with the metal zips on your Snowbee - My first waders were Snowbee neoprenes - lasted 4 years - pretty good I thought.
Not so far David but I've only been using the jacket for 3 months or so. I wash it down with fresh water every now & again & give the zips a light spray with WD40 or similar. So far so good!

If you are thinking of the Snowbee, getting lure boxes that will fit in the front pockets is a pain in the arris. I've gone for the B.A.S.S individual lure boxes

Just seen where you live...........how much plugging do you get done in Streatham lol?!

Cheers

Toby

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Not enough thats for sure, not many trout about either! But I got into lure fishing because when we go away as a family - it is always to the seaside for the kids (they're 4[twins]). There is never really any decent river flyfishing near where we go and its not fair to head off for whole days without the family just to fish. I have done it in the past - but it doesn't win me any brownie points. So I tried flying for bass in Devon last year - 30mph headwind totally impossible to cast - and had that revelation - if I had a plug I could cast into anything! The seed was sown - bought some gear - got a schoolie first time out - addicted to it immediately. Now when we are all on the beach having sandwiches, doing the whole sandcastle thing, I have one eye on the tide, just waiting for a chance to get an hour in. Google maps is superb for choosing which beachs we go to! Also Always end up knackered, beacause Im up at 4.30 to get the dawn session in - although now I've been made to only do it every other day - keep falling asleep on the family otherwise. So really it is quite a mission to squeeze in a trip. But Im only 2.5 hours from Dorset - and the bassing is great down there.
Lets face it, when you are hooked what can you do - its impossible to give it up. So I am happy to get the chance whenever I can. I have actually considered a bit of freshwater plugging, but generally when Im inland I like to fly for trout and grayling.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
:-D You sound a bit like me David. We love our lure fishing, just got to fit it in around the family & kids. Being tired comes as part of the deal! There's that constant dilemma 'Mmmm, I know that I ought to be spending time with the kids, I've been at work all week & I've not seen them................but I really want to go fishing' :-D :-D

I had more than half an eye on going fishing when I last went to the beach with the family & went & caught a bass first cast on my Z Claw!!

Anyway, back on topic. hows the lifejacket research going. Any idea yet on what you'll go for?

Cheers

Toby

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I have a yachties hoop type one with auto inflate. nice and light and doesn't get in the way. I think i paid €50 for it in Ireland. Pleased to say I havent had to test it yet but i wear it mostly when night rock-hopping alone. The airlines can be a bit funny about carrying it in hold or hand baggage. I was called back to the check-in this year after their scanner saw it in my hold baggage at Cork Airport. Fortunately I had already got a letter from the airline saying they would accept it on their planes. They just asked me to disconnect the trigger mechanism and then they took it OK

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Thanks for the replies so far. Good info on the airline - disarming - letter thing.
Found this one http://www.lifejackets.co.uk/products/65/englands-wading-lifejacket-waistcoat which could be good as I have rung them up and its fine to wear under a rucksack or sling. Also doubles as a coat, but could be hot in summer?
However Im, interested in in the hoop one - does it really not get in the way of your lure bags and stuff? - You see if it doesnt _ I could wear it with a my fly vest or sling bag.
Or I'm going to sling the sling bag and get the wave hopper - or even look into some of the us market ones - too busy so far - but will probably be decided by tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Sounds dangerous this rock fishing.

Anyone up for a nice safe skish LOL

Wetsuit, total buoyancy, even with a broken leg or someone knocked out can be brought home easily..
I've tried one fin to get home and whilst tiring, it can be done.

Seriously, I think people should wear aids when around white-water etc. Once unprepared could be once too often.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I know we have discussed this before but I still dont think enough is made of how important it is to wear a flotation device of some kind when on the rocks especially.
If you are used to being in the water then you will be better prepaired,if your not then it must be "a huge shock",,,,,I will be investing in something for next year and have recently invested in a 'safety whistle'.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I am selling an Utimate Fishing combined Lure Vest and Bouyancy Aid. It is advertised in the classified section. Perfect condition I have only used it twice

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Just a personal opinion David but I wouldn't buy a combined jacket & life saving aid. I get hot when I'm walking/clambering about. Wearing my vest alone I'm OK.

I would rather get a quality lightweight jacket that I can either leave at home or roll up & put in chosen storage (fly jacket/Sakura Trekker sort of thing/sling bag) if I don't want to wear it & have the life aid bit separate (from the jacket). More flexible that way

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Yes Toby, that was a concern.
However check this link -
http://www.adecmarine.co.uk/product_details.asp?d=2&c=15&p={74DEB45F-9860-49B7-9DD3-4FB27C62A8B1}
its got brilliant info on buoyancy. Apparently 100kg person in the water weighs only 5kg (see link - explains all). And 10N of lift supports 1Kg. Therefore a 50N float aid although not up to recommended level of 150N (and not necessarily enough to get your airwaves clear when unconscious) is actually a hell of a lot better than I originally thought, and well worth the effort of buying and wearing.
Check this site also for its hoop type 150N vest (about £68 delivered). It has a Hammar Hydrostatic trigger, which means it will only trigger when it is actually submerged. This is opposed to the majority of other triggers which rely on a pellet getting moist enough to release a pin under tension. Something that most wave freaks might get put off by.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
OK. Just spoke to the guy at that company - full of tech spec - so very helpful. He still reckons you should get the non hydrostatic one because if you get knocked out, slip down a rock into shallows it may not inflate as it requires a certain amount of water pressure (ie depth below sea level) to inflate. Therefore you could still end up face down drowned in a puddle - so jolly all this isnt it? He says generally the trigger mechanism on these is velcro'd all round and needs water to enter up so I guess a big wave surging up from under you could trigger it if it was heavy enough but it would probably have you on your arse anyway.
Apparantly you can easily disarm the auto inflate if you are wading or the like and retain as a toggle inflate. He says you just open the flap remove the salt tablet - which you should put in a small watertight box to keep it dry. Your life vest wont go off without pulling the toggle though - but hopefully if you got into trouble wading, you could have time to pull it?
Sorry if this all tooo much info - just seem to be finding out something new every 5 minutes - now back to work!!!!!

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
There have been a couple of threads on this topic, including this other thread started by Ben . . . http://www.thelureforum.com/showthread.php?t=1509&highlight=bouyancy

Given Toby's recent experience, what's the latest feedback on bouyancy aids that people have been using this season. Things im interested in are . . .

1) Bouyancy aids / Life Jackets that 'work' with mobile lure fishing.
2) How these have actually performed if someone has needed to use it in anger.
3) Options with kids sizes, that arent too bulky.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Thinking aloud, there's probably a very good argument for putting Luke into a wetsuit when we're on rock marks.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I havent got the perfect solution to this thats for sure, but think I have stumbled upon one reasonably priced option which may be worth considering.

I fish in some potentially dodgy locations and conditions at the bottom of cliffs in Cornwall, usually on my own, and it dawned on me that although I am Cornish and therefore clearly have some mountain goat genes in me somewhere, these seem to be well hidden and I may be putting myself at some considerable risk.

I kayak fish anyway and so I already had a Nookie Delta Ranger PFD which I bough new for £40 delivered. Its rated 50N and I have put it to the test from my kayak a couple of times and it seems to work well! It has a couple of reasnably sized pockets at the front for bits and pieces, a D ring for attaching some Bogas etc and it has a pouch on the back designed for a hydration pack but I have found it can accoomodate a reasonable sized lure box.

It appear to be well made, not at all bulky and being designed for kayaking, it is cut to give ease of shoulder movement for paddling but also for casting, climbing etc. I now carry my VHF radio in one of the pockets as extra back up!

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
There have been a couple of threads on this topic, including this other thread started by Ben . . . http://www.thelureforum.com/showthread.php?t=1509&highlight=bouyancy

Given Toby's recent experience, what's the latest feedback on bouyancy aids that people have been using this season. Things im interested in are . . .

1) Bouyancy aids / Life Jackets that 'work' with mobile lure fishing.
2) How these have actually performed if someone has needed to use it in anger.
3) Options with kids sizes, that arent too bulky.
Next year I will be investing in a lifejacket/bouyancy aid for myself and also for my wife (keen to start lure fishing) and my 3 year old who is lure mad and has his own collection (minus hooks).
I like the look of the 'ultimate' one but at only 50n is only going to help a bit and is Very very expensive.
I may just go for a standard automatic lifejacket 150n that will do the propper job.........
Obviously my three year old dosn't go anywhere dangerous and he is always totally supervised on beaches etc.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I've tried that on, and it was a bit 'snug' ;).
I am 5'9" and 15+ stone (these days) so maybee it would be a bit 'snug' on me.
I am starting to think that the only way to go is with a propper life jacket that will turn you the right way up if you hit your head etc.
I think its more likely that when you slip or fall you will most likley hit your head and be dissorientated etc.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts