The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't posted a meaningful thread on here for a while but I thought I'd share with you a little technique for flatfish that I'd Bumbled across over the summer.

A lot of my marks ooop North are either sandy beaches or shallow estuaries with the odd patch of rocks or mussell bed so if things aren't going to plan for bass it's fairly easy to switch tactics and go for the flatties. I only started experimenting with SP's this year, hoped to buy an Injection but that fell by the wayside and I've had to make do with the Bar, so to match it I've been using 17 or 21g Picol'eau eels and had success with wrasse down in Jersey (thanks Callum!) and a fair few schoolies up here.

Near the end of a blank session, I started messing around and experimenting, adapting an SP eel so that a small hook could catch cheeky flatties that would aggressively nip at the tail. Using this technique I had 6 flounder and 2 plaice in an hour so I hope over the Winter months this may prove useful.

Instead of using the standard hooks (or the weedless rigged ones seen here) I attached a small swivel to the artic "spoon" head, then a short length of 10lb mono and a size 2 Kamasan B940 an threaded the eel right the way through so it's almost at the tip of the tail. These hooks are light enough to let the tail flutter relatively well, and induce an aggressive take from a jealous flattie that may think the leadhead/spoon is a smaller rival!

Tightlines,

Rob

Attachments

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Hi Rob Great idea mate...Have done exactly the same with a rubber rag worm and a swim disc on the front..can't wait to try it out in Jersey.....:-D:-D:-D

·
Banned
792 Posts
thx for that nice placed additional hook. As always, the simple things in life are making the day. You are using the hook itself or a needle to cut through the SPs?

Will def try this out here in DK next month, sandy beach, small harbour ...
Cheers
Thomas

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doc that's BRILLIANT!

By using a baiting needle I could use smaller, lighter short shank hooks like a size 6 Sakuma Manta... I used an Aberdeen pattern to help me thread it along, with lots of saliva to stop it splitting but that would make the process so much easier and also improve the action!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thanks Rob good idea,have been kicking around a similar idea but with gulp rag and lug.
Never got around to it though gonna have to give it a go now,after your encouraging post.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I was thinking about those Gulp rag but they're quite a lot tougher aren't they?

·
Registered
101 Posts
What a great thread Rob. I have beening thinking about targetting flatties ever since I began using soft plastics. There is a beach near me where you can take plaice (at a distance) but Poole Harbour might be the best bet near me in the winter at Gravel Point or nearby.
Nick

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Doc I used a bait needle to put mine on...Not easy as Rob says but not too difficult to do and the small hook shouldnt effect the action too much either.....Just need to see if it works now....:-D:-D

·
Registered
2,796 Posts

On the Baiting needle

Hook threaded on.

Small hook in position on end of tail.
I am just going to fit a 1/0 or 2/0 weighted hook at the head with one of the nose discs to make it swim and hopefully it will work??? Worth a try..:-D

This is one fo the Ron Thomson rags that I won on the Bumble raffle earlier in the year.......It has been known for me to win a prize or two.....

·
Registered
393 Posts
Fantastic thread rob, deffinately going to try that at a local estuary :)

And i was also wondering if braided hooklink the type used for carp fishing would allow more action in the tail due to its increased suppleness. hmm now you got me thinking ;)

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Tim said:
Cheers Trev, so how are you attaching the Stinger to the weighted hook, to the eye or the bend?
I'm going to secure it to the eye of the hook Tim. Llyr may have something with the braid hook length. Will try them both.....:wink:

·
Banned
792 Posts
hmm, thought about a small length of mono or fluoro...
But why not braid of same size as main line.
Will have some slug go ss (silly name to me...) and some berkley gulp ragworm prepared also for a try out.
@Rob: you are using scent for the sps?
Cheers
Thomas

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is what I absolutely adore about this site! Somebody starts off with an idea, various people contribute, the idea grows, more people buy into it and adapt it for themselves and it gets better and more refined! Top stuff lads!

Doc I've never used scents apart from the chopped garlic I keep in my plug boxes

Llyr that's a great idea mate!

Superb pics there Trev, loving your work. Catch on that and we really can call you Flukey.....

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yeah I was thinking about those Gulp rag but they're quite a lot tougher aren't they?
Don't know about the toughness of them tbh Rob.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts