floundering in llandudno | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

floundering in llandudno

Discussion in 'LRF & HRF Chat' started by {name}, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Mullet (foul hooked)

Just moved into Llandudno as we've bought a small hotel,so a couple of hours lrf are all I can manage at the moment,caught well on the pier with loads of pollock,pouting,wrasse and scorpions.next on the list is a lure caught flounder and this is where I am struggling with a handful of blanks so far at deganwy(although the bait guys weren't fairing much better)any tips or marks,state of tide etc would be welcome,thought of trying Conway harbour at high for a change.inbox me if you like

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sprat

My methods for Flounder, and I do target them often are: choose a predominately sandy/ muddy area (a bit of weed growth here and there isn't a problem though), a modified mepps spoon with a piece of isome/gulp on it, or a jighead with the same as well as with small curltails and also a dropshot rig.. all usually with a size 6 aberdeen type long shank hook. Majority I catch are when the water is low-mid level and usually no further out than around 10feet from the quay wall. Have a look at this link for the modified mepps technique http://www.fishingtails.co.uk/lure-fishing-for-thin-lip-mullet/ .. as you can see, mepps method can also get you a mullet (for flounder, I let the mepps drop further in the water though rather than keeping it top water) using any of these methods, you are also in with a chance of a gurnard, scorpion fish and a fair few other species... I've also caught a Gilt Head bream with the mepps. Blanking, as with all fishing styles, is par the course as well. If you use the mepps method, make sure you rinse in cold water under that tap after every session and make sure you give your rig a good tug to make sure it doesn't break before you use it on the next session. Good luck.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Pollock

Try by the perch on the Conwy side low water Fred

4. Mullet (foul hooked)

Where is the perch,is it in the harbour?

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Chub

Perch don't live in harbours, Fred. Take a look in the river :muttley:

6. Striper

the perch is on the conwy side of the estuary off the golf course.............park by the marina and walk left with golf course on your left....a few hundred yards off shore you will see a metal structure on a slightly raised bit of ground (at low).........also try further up river, park by the big secondary school in conwy and take the footpath that leads along the shore to conwy harbour.........its very muddy/silty where a stream comes out ,go a bit further along towards conwy to where theres some rock/weed and fish off there as the tide floods:)

7. Pollock

Cheers for explaining that Trev Can be good marks for you know what

8. Striper

errmmmmm................................whiting?:muttley:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mullet (foul hooked)

Latest report on the flounder hunt,went out at low last night,still no flounders,but got bothered by a bass between 6-8lb,bit of a beast on lrf gear but despite trying to shake it off it stayed on and I was forced to Beach it,I will redouble my efforts and drop lure size a bit that should throw the bass off the scent,lol

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. Bass

Good to see it go back Fred, I was to your right....

The new tip section worked then?

11. Pollock

Very nicely done Fred :clap:.

What was the algi like last night? I've been away for a couple of weeks so I'm not up to speed on the situation and I keep getting mixed reports about it locally.

12. Mullet (foul hooked)

Algi still not to clever but not as bad as before,and yeah new tip section was fine,broke the last one on a pollock that didn't want to give in

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Pollock

Cheers Fred , think I'll stick to Anglesey for now and give it another week or so before venturing out closer to home ;).

14. Bass

Yeah I know Fred, we were drawing diagrams yesterday... :)

Great result, was that on an LRF lure?

15. Mullet (foul hooked)

No,lure was a bit bigger than that,although I did give it a good bash on a little un

16. Sandeel

best rig for flounder in my very modest opinion is the split shot rig with a piece of isome or angleworm, cast out let it hit the bottom then slow retrieve with 20-30 second pauses inbetween, remember never strike early as flounder like to sit with the bait for a good few seconds

17. Sandeel

Iv found a split shot rig to be really prolific for flounder with either bait or isome. Other worms are also available :p