The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After almost deciding to try some croc hunting, the urge to fish a trout water stocked with some double figure fish proved to strong.

Until the Bass arrive I am passing the weeks attempting to catch a double figure trout.

Arrived at Felindre to be greeted to a strong north east wind. Not good. Cold and gusty.

A few of the regulars were hogging one corner of the water, after seeing a fish caught I decided to fish into the wind hoping that food was being blown towards the bank.

Half hour in and a big take, followed by some nice runs. Typical stocked rainbow although in good condition with no sign of spawning. Caught on a black and green lure.

A new pb for me at 7 and a half pound. I did have a side bet with Simon on beating a pb today. That's a pint you owe me Si ;)

A quiet hour followed with the highlight being three red kites working the hillside for prey

Two fish were working the margins, I tried jigging a fly in front of them, one followed as he hit the fly I pulled it from his mouth!!

Tried a few different flies and changed the speed of retrieve, nowt. Another hour later bang, fish on. Just pulled the fly passed a lump of weed and she smashed it!

Great two fish down one to go.

Despite constant changes of fly, depth, location and effort. Three hours passed without another touch. Started to lose confidence wondering what I was doing wrong as a couple of others caught.

The Wind then dropped off allowing easier presentation of the fly

Decided to pull out all the stops, lots of effort. Changed to a black and green montana and 3inch strip retrieve. Pulled over a weed bed, big flash of silver. Fish on.

A good fight and almost messed up netting him as he tried to kick out of the net but kept the line tight and guided him in. Fish three in the bag.

Fish weighed in at 7.5lb, 4.5lb and 4lb. Bag weight 16lb

Despite hard conditions and a north east wind very happy with the bag of fish.

The lake at the end of the day following the wind dropping

A good day.
The hunt continues for my double figure trout

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Great report.
I used to love a bit of spotty fishing.

They really pull too eh ?

Try to find a place that will let you fish HRF for the trout. Now, that would be interesting and I'd be well up for it too.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great report.
I used to love a bit of spotty fishing.

They really pull too eh ?

Try to find a place that will let you fish HRF for the trout. Now, that would be interesting and I'd be well up for it too.
They do go well, the top fish was a powerful fish. Some of the local rivers allow lure fishing for trout.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
hey Marc - good work! Haven't fished Felindre yet but I know there are some real beasts in there. Given the wind today I think you did well. The crocs were a bit fussy today so I think you made the right call. That 1st fish is really thick set - I bet it was a fair fight?

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Great fishing Marc, and i do indeed owe you a pint, as i struggled to connect today.

I bet you were suitably chuffed with that 1st one ?????

Nice report & pics !!!

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Cracking report Marc and nice pics. Well done on your PB !

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well done on your pb Marc. Felindre is not quite the mecca it used to be mind where 20lb fish were fairly common, a double from there now is a good fish. Sutton Springs is the place!!!!! £110 a day for a 4 fish ticket and a wheelbarrow to carry them!!! i kid you not!!!
Thanks Iestyn, Very tempting expensive but as a one trip a year maybe, I have a few trout to get through first. I bought a smoker last year to try, I need to experiment with smoked trout fillets.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Hi Marc Sutton Springs is the type of place you go as a one off just to hit a big fish tbh!!! (my pb is from there). We have a smoker at the lodge and its hell of a bit kit, never tried taking sea fish down and smoking them but the chef has done various fowl, meats, cheeses and of course salmon. let me know how you get on with it as always fancied doing it myself but never got round to it!!! lol. Which one do you have? a woodman? or the flat tray type like the ron thompson one?

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Good going Marc.

I have fished Sutton Springs, the wheelbarrow bit is no joke! It wasn't really my idea of fun, bit too much of a stewpond. No fish under 10lb stocked - crazy.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Good going Marc.

I have fished Sutton Springs, the wheelbarrow bit is no joke! It wasn't really my idea of fun, bit too much of a stewpond. No fish under 10lb stocked - crazy.
We could do with that right now though. Beautiful day today, crystal water, but bl**dy freezing winds. I could stand that for a 10lb spotty.

·
Registered
281 Posts
[The hunt continues for my double figure trout[/QUOTE]

Not sure if this place is too far away but the fish there are massive - I've had rainbows to 16lb and a brown to 14lb. It is also a very pretty spot.
www.lechladetrout.co.uk

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I suggested that to the welsh chaps the other day! I think they were considering a trip along there this coming weekend? I can only urge you to go, fantastic place. Shame you aren't more central, opens up Dever and Avington to you as well, also big fish stalking waters. But definately a bit more character at Lechlade, and Bushyleaze across the road, which is the location of the best evening rises I have ever seen anywhere

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I've had a few evening rises myself.

I'll get my coat.....

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
[The hunt continues for my double figure trout
Not sure if this place is too far away but the fish there are massive - I've had rainbows to 16lb and a brown to 14lb. It is also a very pretty spot.
www.lechladetrout.co.uk[/QUOTE]

Yes one we will be visiting shortly, heard some good reports from mark, Iestyn and others

1 - 20 of 20 Posts