The Lure Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's generally considered to be the best around?

I first experienced fluoro in the form of some bargain bin Berkley (that nickname has now stuck on everything they do!) Vanish that was on offer at Gerry's of Morecambe. Horrible brittle stuff that frayed no matter how carefully you knot it. I gave up on leaders for a while but kept getting my braid tangling round my front trebles....

This weekend I've bought a new brand, Tubertini Gorilla UC-4 and it seems to be the mutt's nuts but the problem is, it seems a little too good! It looks, feels and knots like a premium quality mono. Possibly better than the Suffix Tritanium I use on my beach multis. My question for the experts is; is it a true fluorocarbon or is it some kind of slightly more visible compromise?

Any information or advice appreciated!

Tightlines,
Rob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Rob

I have looked at the stuff myself. I can't tell you much, but it is not a 100% fluoro. What percentage it is, and what makes up the other percent, I don't know. But they tend to make a number of hybrid-type lines with various polymers. Sorry I can't be much help.

Geoff

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Rob, i know what you mean regarding fluoro, and what is actually 100%. Seaguar seems to have a good rep everywhere. I too have the fluoro decision to make again for this year, last year was trilene. Got some stroft to try this season as well.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
THIS stuff Rob? I've been using it for a while and it seems good. I found a review on it HERE , I don't know who's the writer but seems to think it's defo full fluoro. Also note that they seem to be sponsored by Tubertini.....
I recently heard some rumblings when the OFT was getting concerned about Italian lines thickness, not sure what came of it though
I've been wondering about getting some lighter fluoro for my LRF attempts; Tubertini doesn't go light enough so I need to find something else.....
Hopefully someone'll have some suggestions

·
Registered
25 Posts
I use since a couple of years SIGLON fluorcarbon as shockleader for beachfishing and are very happy with it,so i will use it for my first year lurefishing also.

Grtzz

·
Registered
6 Posts
The reviewers seem quite chuffed with the stuff. Ian Houlton is one of the reviewers, so I guess I should defer to his greater knowledge, but an extract from the Tubertini site states "...Tubertini Gorilla UC-4 100m - Produced with a high percentage of polyvinylidene fluoride [Fluorocarbon] Tubertini Gorilla UC-4 is an excellent fluorocarbon suitable for both boat fishing and for casting...", which suggests that it is a high percentage fluoro, but not a 100% fluoro. However, it's a good review from established names (albeit on a site that is sponsored by Tubertini), so I'd guess it's not total guff.

Geoff

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
There have been a lot of misconceptions with Tubertini (and other Italian lines) line for quite a few years now. For whatever reason, they state their breaking strains in Kilo's, but in reality swap the KG sign for an LB one and you'll be much closer the truth. This is a bit of a generalisation, but with most lines you can look at the diameter as a more truthful estimate of the breaking strain. 0.2mm should be around 5lb (as the Tubertini is). And even then, its very common for diameters to under stated as well. Line is a funny thing round these 'ere parts.

The Gorilla one I haven't used so can't really comment. Like Geoff says, the way it describes itself does suggest that perhaps it's not 100% fluoro. I've bought fluorocarbon lines in the past that have claimed to be so, but are in fact just fluorocarbon coated - whcih allows them to retain the flexibility and easy 'knottage' of mono. They also inherit a lot of the stretch that mono has as well though.

I'd suggest, if it doesn't SAY it's 100% fluoro, then it probably isn't.

Others will be able to fill you in on exactly which ones, but there are very few companies that actually produce fluorocarbon lines in the World. Seaguar are one, and being an actual producer of the material, they will always hold back the 'best' stuff for themselves before supplying other companies with line that they can repackage - which is why they're one of the very best.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
So as far as I can see, we don't know! I should imagine that most manufacturers would add maybe a coating to their fluoro? The review says Tubertini does, is that the missing percents?

Anyway, blatantly hijacking the OP... Ben seems to recommend Seaguar. Answers my question...:-D

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
So as far as I can see, we don't know! I should imagine that most manufacturers would add maybe a coating to their fluoro? The review says Tubertini does, is that the missing percents?
Yep, but probably the other way around. Fluorocarbon is harder and more abrasion resistant than mono, so the fluoro percentage is likely to be on the outside. ;-)

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's a minefield! Did a bit of a search now I've got more time (at work!!!!)

http://www.thelureforum.com/showthread.php?t=966&highlight=fluorocarbon

Lots of the lads recommending Seaguar on there.

The Tubertini stuff feels incredibly soft, that's why I was curious about it's fluoro content. At £7.99 for 100m I'll be gutted if I've forked out for what is essentially a mono with a tiny fraction of fluoro added (possibly) for advertising and labelling purposes.

Guess I'll suck it and see, and report back at a later date.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Yep, but probably the other way around. Fluorocarbon is harder and more abrasion resistant than mono, so the fluoro percentage is likely to be on the outside. ;-)
Perhaps not, from the review:- "The stuff they make for Tubertini is only for Tubertini - ie Exclusive! The raw material (nylon) arrives to Tubertini in hanks (3000 m, 5000 m) then these hanks are treated with protecting substances that save the product from light and other atmospheric agents like heat and salt."

I don't know, I like it whatever! I'll use it up on my Bushwacker and get some light seagaur for the LRF.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I have been using the 'pure' 100% fluorocarbon from Seaguar for a few years now,this stuff is not designed for being used as a main line but only for leaders etc.
The only problem I have had is 'unexplained' breakages on the 30lbs version.
When I say breakages I mean on the cast,and always just under the albright.
This version of Seaguar is very hard and stiff and I recon that its the 'hinge' effect of the line and knot passing throught the tip ring etc that causes the problem.
Seaguar are the inventors of Fluorocarbon lines and they do lots of different types,they have just brought out an all new 'softer' version of the 100% stuff designed for leaders etc.It comes on 25yd spools and I recon (hope) it will help to stop the breakages when using longer leaders.
I have ordered 15lbs for this year.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
The Tubertini Gorilla mentioned here will be overgunning every LRF rod. HRF, different story though.
The sky blue 300 mtr stuff in 2kg might be worth a go though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts