Flurocarbon for leaders. | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Flurocarbon for leaders.

Discussion in 'Lines' started by {name}, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Sprat

Had a good look through the old threads but could not find detailed advice.

I'm happy with my Drop shot rig. But when jigging for Perch with lures up to 3" TO 4" inch I feel I need a leader of some kind. Lots on YOUTUBE don't seem to bother, and I understand it's only a single hook that a Pike should get rid of, but?

I've brought some 100lb fluro, but wonder if it would put the perch off, or spoil the action of the plastics. I'm not happy with wire to be honest, do other Perch guys use Fluro? What knots to each end?

Don't want to get into the Wire vs Fluro debate thanks.

Richard.

2. Blenny

100lb ?
    I use 6lb dreenan fly leader. Good stuff.

3. Sprat

Hi Chris.

Its clear you have misunderstood my question, maybe I'm not being specific enough.

When Perch fishing Chris, and there is a chance of you catching a PIKE on a perch lure, do you use a fluro leaders. If so do you find it puts perch off, or alters the way the plastic moves in the water. Or don't you bother and not use any trace at all?

Hope that helps.

4. Blenny

Fully understood your post just not the 100lb fluorocarbon. That size is quite likely to put of perch.
    If there are pike around I use wire.
    I dont find that wire or flourocarbon puts off the perch. If there are no pike I just use a foot of fluorocarbon. The reason for this is that I use the same set up for mullet and they are put off by wire or braid,so my reels always have a fluorocarbon leader.

5. Wrasse

There will always be differing views, and sometimes heated exchanges, whenever this subject is raised. Personally, if I am drop shotting or using small single hook jig heads specifically for perch then I stick to fluoro. If I am using small plugs/spinners, often fitted with trebles, then I will use wire. I don't target pike but they are an unavoidable "by catch." I have lost surprisingly few pike if I have hooked them whilst drop shotting. Very often they are hooked on the outer lip. Even if hooked in the mouth most are landed. I accept that I may get bitten off very occasionally, my conscience can cope with that.

Sent from my E6633 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sandeel

100 flouro is extreme for perch and pike. 6-10 lb leader is more than adequate however I have to say when pike fishing I always use a wire trace. It's far better for the fish knowing it's not going to swim off with a hook in its gob

7. Sprat